Murgh Makhani

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
NJA can you post a good murgh makhani recipe? I intend to spice it up you can make suggestions on that too.

Thanks!

Indian Butter Chicken.

And not looking for recipes from the Net, looking for authentic, so waiting for NJA! ;)

THP,

I just read your request about Murg Makhani aka Butter chicken.

The trick lies in making the buttery gravy for pre cooked boned/Boneless chicken.

Which would you prefer?

The boned or bone less?

Gimme till evening and I will write down the recipe and post it for you.

NJA

Hmm either one really. I can see it tasting good as boneless breast cubes, but also as a stew with legs and thighs. What do you mean pre cooked? You just pour the sauce over the chicken, or simmer it in it?

Thanks!

THP,

The whole secret lies in Gravy. Ofcourse the chicken (whole) needs to be pre cooked or I would rather say that properly grilled after annointing it with spices.

You have to then let it get further cooked in gravy . Original Murg Makhani was with bones. Later on it got westernized and boneless chicken was added to gravy.

It is too late now. I would post the recipe tomorrow for sure.

By the way, Murg Makhani has a lot of fat in it. Hope you won't mind eating such a lot of fat once in a while.

NJA

NJA, I will take the most traditional recipe for bone-in chicken, and what I will do is try to do it BBQ style. I will grill or smoke the chicken with some of the spices from the recipe, and finish it in the gravy.

Now I can't wait.

Yes, I know it is fattening. :) Screw it! :lol:

MURG MAKHANI (Butter Chicken)

Rub lemon juice and salt to chicken pieces and keep for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Prepare 1 cup of marination paste using fresh yogurt,Ginger garlic paste and red kashmiri chilli powder. Marinate thechicken /chicken pieces/with/without bones and keep in fridge for couple of hours.After 2 hours,grill them till chicken loses pink color and juices start running, this is a sign of well done chicken. Remove and let chicken pieces cool.(you may scrap off any top burnblackened layer.  (Use about 1.5 pound ofchicken)

Some people use little garam masala powder to be added to marinade. 

Prepare the gravy as under.

Dice four medium sized tomatoes(Roma). Julienne 3 to 4 garlic cloves. Julienne about 3  to 4 Thai chillies too. Take butter (2 tbsp)and a Tbsp of cooking oil in a skillet and heat on high temp.

When butter melts and is sufficiently hot, add cardamom 3 pods, Mace/ Nutmeg  1/4 spoon and tomatoes and Garlic to  that and let it soften well. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes. Once the mix is cool, prepare a paste using a food processor.

Strain the paste to remove cardamom skin and tomato skin, Chilli seeds etc.

Take 2 dollops of butter(150 gms)and heat again in a skillet/wok. Add the gravy paste to it when butter melts,  Add red chilli powder (1 to 2 tsps) as per color and heat desired. Add ginger which is julienned. Add chicken pieces in it and add salt . Let it simmer for about five to eight minutes.

Add fenugreek leaves after crushing lightly with underside of a spoon or you can use dried fenugreekleaves and couple of pinches of Cardamom powder.

Mix well. I prefer to add roasted and powdered fenugreek seeds (just about 1/8 tsp). 

Garnish with fresh cream. Andserve hot with flat bread, Nan or khamiri rotis.

(PLEASE DETERMINE THE QUANTITIES OF SPICES AND INGREDIENTS AS PER QUANTITY OF CHICKEN YOU WANT TO PREPARE)

Ps.

I use same gravy for my butter channa masala. I have used my ancient traditional recipe of chicken  from my old carnivore days)

Awesome! I will do this when I get a chance. Thanks!

Hey boss, I can't believe you just asked a vegetarian for a chicken recipe! :rofl:

Shouldn't have given it to him, NJA! ;)

Seriously though, I wanna see pics of this BBQ style Butter Chicken, boss!

Gas,

You are forgetting that once I was a chicken addict.There is no form of chicken I have not had and my website still has some non veg recipes.

My fav was chicken curry cooked in Madurai style.

NJA

Gas,

You are forgetting that once I was a chicken addict.There is no form of chicken I have not had and my website still has some non veg recipes.

My fav was chicken curry cooked in Madurai style.

NJA
I was just playing around. ;)

Chicken is probably the main reason I converted back to being a carnivore. In fact, Murgh Makhani is one of my all time favourite dishes and is quite possibly the reason - well, a main reason anyway - that I broke. I was down at my favourite curry spot one night and just thought, "Screw this! I want the Butter Chicken! Just once for old times sake!". I can't remember if it was the first meat I had had since being a vegetarian or not, but it sure broke me quick smart!

I know I'm late to the party, but, with bones is better for flavor. I had to re-learn that here in LOS (land of smiles) when my wife complained about my use of bone-less breast meat; no flavor and she was right. So bone in from now on. Cheers.

Back