• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mushroom in my solo cup

I just found a mushroom growing in my peach habanero's solo cup. It is indoor, under lights. There is no visible mold in any of my 24 Solo cups that have pepper plants in them. I am using Miracle Gro soil. Were there spores in the soil?

Probably in the soil. I'm using potting "MIX" even when I pot up, not potting "SOIL". I'd cut back on watering, sounds like the soil is pretty moist.

I was thinking that overwatering was a culprit as well. Should I avoid Miracle Gro in the future or can this happen with any soil?

I'd say it's luck of the draw, not necessarily the MG. I've been using MG from germination to full maturity and never saw a shroom, so I don't think it's a common thing with the brand.

I avoid using any potting mix that has the word "soil" in it. My plants from seedlings to pot ups don't touch, taste or feel any soil until they get into the dirt. Any soil mix will retain too much water, this also causes a lot of, crap a can't think of the name of it, I guess I'm having a senior, drinking moment, what I'm trying to say is that the stems will rot at or near root level. Dang, I can't believe I can't remember the name of the root rot problem. I need some youngsters to re-educate me.

I'd say it's luck of the draw, not necessarily the MG. I've been using MG from germination to full maturity and never saw a shroom, so I don't think it's a common thing with the brand.

Are you using MG Potting Mix or Potting "SOIL"?

Had another drink and dang it, I remembered. Damping off is the problem you could potentially have with soil or potting mixes that are too wet.

I am using MG potting soil (noob!), and I just discovered some mushrooms in one cup. None of my other 50+ have it, and this one doesn't look very wet either - I tend to try and underwater, but I did just water them yesterday after they went dry right to the bottom.

1 of two things happened. neither of which matters alot...

the mix was not pasteurized properly, and spores are still viable in the soil mix. a fruiting fungus is enjoying itself in the cups...growing happily eating the woody or fecal bits of your mix.

a random spore from some random sporulating(sp?) mushroom from some random area close by landed in your mix and is enjoying itself just as above.

fruiting mushrooms tend to need specific condtitions to fruit, but not necessarily to continue to grow and spread throughout the soil. you probably have some nice cool weather with nice humid conditions with plenty of water and decomposing wood or poo, your mushroom appreciates this.
its up for debate whether or not they are harmful to your plants health overall. on the one hand they wont necessarily compete with your plants for nutrients as it is likely a wood eating mushroom as is probably most common. however it could be argued that it is infact ruining the bark or wood chips in your soil, thereby compacting the soil, and making less favorable conditions for your plants roots.

this is the reason why commercial mulches are treated with a fungicide. infact mulched beds that are irrigated with sprayers or sprinklers basically require treated mulch. when the mulch is wetted basically daily, you are begging for shrooms to destroy the mulch entirely.
the office i work at had the beds in front redone to some great extent, however they cheaped out on mulch, and one year later it is almost entirely gone. its worth noting they also added copious composed cow manure to the beds which further doomed the mulch. i saw the same strain of fruiting puff ball mushrooms daily throughout the entire fall and spring and early summer.

ive also heard people say some fungi will activly compete with "beneficials".
imo its all just speculation.... i find mushrooms to be neat, so i dont bother knocking them down or w/e unless im mowing the lawn, in which case i lower the lawn mower blades in order to further relish the sight of them being reduced to white and brown mist coming out the side of the side mulching duct thing. i do a little lawn mower pack man thing wherein i lift the front wheels of the mower, push it forward thereby centering the blades over the offending mushrooms, and then abruptly drop the mower down on them.

Any soil mix will retain too much water, this also causes a lot of, crap a can't think of the name of it, I guess I'm having a senior, drinking moment, what I'm trying to say is that the stems will rot at or near root level. Dang, I can't believe I can't remember the name of the root rot problem. I need some youngsters to re-educate me.

Damping off

I avoid using any potting mix that has the word "soil" in it. My plants from seedlings to pot ups don't touch, taste or feel any soil until they get into the dirt. Any soil mix will retain too much water, this also causes a lot of, crap a can't think of the name of it, I guess I'm having a senior, drinking moment, what I'm trying to say is that the stems will rot at or near root level. Dang, I can't believe I can't remember the name of the root rot problem. I need some youngsters to re-educate me.

Are you using MG Potting Mix or Potting "SOIL"?

Had another drink and dang it, I remembered. Damping off is the problem you could potentially have with soil or potting mixes that are too wet.

It is potting "mix"

Some mixes also use mushroom compost as part of making it. I do not think its common but I wouldnt would not worry about it to much.

u·biq·ui·tous (y
oomacr.gif
-b
ibreve.gif
k
prime.gif
w
ibreve.gif
-t
schwa.gif
s)adj. Being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time; omnipresent

Back