• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

MUST SEE. I invented a vaccine for bacterial leaf damage.

Ok, so I'm not going to tell you every detail about how this works yet, because I'm unsure if it's something I want to try to market. However, I may have figured out a way to stop the #1 problem with pepper growing.

I believe that bacterial spotting as well as "sun scorch" damage are caused by the same problems, which is that a particular strain of bacteria eats it's way through the waxy protective coating on plant leaves, and then enters the plant, destroying the stems and root system from within.  When coupled with heat, the leaves appear dry and scorched. Without heat there's just spotting. The direction that damage moves along the veins of the plant confirm this, as it moves in the same direction that water would fall. It was already known that water spreads this bacteria easily through splashing. 

What I've done is grown an antibiotic mix that I infuse into dirt, and then I also dilute some of that dirt to make a foliar spray.  The mix is not a full spectrum antibiotic, but rather only targets the harmful bacteria that cause leaf spotting. I believe the mechanism of action is that it increases the beneficial bacteria, crowding out resources for the bad. The garden fixes itself. For those concerned about chemicals, I am happy to tell you that it is a fully organic process.

This is a New Mexico "Heritage" 6-4 pepper plant. I used just one application on the leaves and dirt around it. Check out this before and after picture:

20116808_10154477999841595_8949774941909480320_o.jpg

The top photo is a "2 week progress" image. 2 weeks before this, the plant was covered on every leaf by that damage when I tested the mix. The bottom photo is after 1 month. Not only did new leaves stop browing, the stems of the plant healed, changing from a sickly brown to a vibrant green.  I was ready to remove this plant from my garden when I decided to test this out. This previously "dead plant" is fruiting today: 

21015823_10154563408596595_1902094613595746641_o.jpg

All of these images are the same plant, I have not done any fooling around with the camera. This is actually the third plant that I've treated and recovered, the others being a Jalapeno and a lunchbox type, but this was by far the worst off. And what's more, every other pepper plant that I've started in this dirt mix has zero leaf spotting. Prior to creating the mix, I had failure after failure from bacterial damage. Now I have a brilliant crop of plants. 

I am looking for people in the Phoenix area who have trouble with leaf spotting and are looking to test my product. I have good reason to believe that I can make a similar mix for any kind of leaf spotting, but I don't think the mix for peppers would work on your other vegetables. To my knowledge each plant has a different kind of bacteria that causes it's type of spotting.

If you struggle with leaf spotting and would like to help me test this, please send me a message, I'd be glad to work with you, and will not charge you. 

grahamsprodigy said:
Ok, so I'm not going to tell you every detail about how this works yet, because I'm unsure if it's something I want to try to market. However, I may have figured out a way to stop the #1 problem with pepper growing.

I believe that bacterial spotting as well as "sun scorch" damage are caused by the same problems, which is that a particular strain of bacteria eats it's way through the waxy protective coating on plant leaves, and then enters the plant, destroying the stems and root system from within.  When coupled with heat, the leaves appear dry and scorched. Without heat there's just spotting. The direction that damage moves along the veins of the plant confirm this, as it moves in the same direction that water would fall. It was already known that water spreads this bacteria easily through splashing. 

What I've done is grown an antibiotic mix that I infuse into dirt, and then I also dilute some of that dirt to make a foliar spray.  The mix is not a full spectrum antibiotic, but rather only targets the harmful bacteria that cause leaf spotting. I believe the mechanism of action is that it increases the beneficial bacteria, crowding out resources for the bad. The garden fixes itself. For those concerned about chemicals, I am happy to tell you that it is a fully organic process.

I used just one application on the leaves and dirt around it. Check out this before and after picture:

20116808_10154477999841595_8949774941909480320_o.jpg

The top photo is a "2 week progress" image. 2 weeks before this, the plant was covered on every leaf by that damage when I tested the mix. The bottom photo is after 1 month. Not only did the leaves heal, the stems of the plant did, too, changing from a sickly brown to a vibrant green.  I was ready to remove this plant from my garden when I decided to test this out. This previously "dead plant" is fruiting today: 

21015823_10154563408596595_1902094613595746641_o.jpg

All of these images are the same plant, I have not done any fooling around with the camera. This is actually the third plant that I've treated and recovered, but this was by far the worst off. And what's more, every other pepper plant that I've started in this dirt mix has zero leaf spotting. Prior to creating the mix, I had failure after failure from bacterial damage. Now I have a brilliant crop of plants. 

I am looking for people in the Phoenix area who have trouble with leaf spotting and are looking to test my product. I have good reason to believe that I can make a similar mix for any kind of leaf spotting, but I don't think the mix for peppers would work on your other vegetables. To my knowledge each plant has a different kind of bacteria that causes it's type of spotting.

If you struggle with leaf spotting and would like to help me test this, please send me a message, I'd be glad to work with you, and will not charge you. 

Are you sure it is bacterial leaf spot and not fungal?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

thegreenman said:
Are you sure it is bacterial leaf spot and not fungal?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

If it were, then the mix I applied shouldn't have been effective. I haven't sprayed any antifungals or really for that matter anything else during the time I was testing it. 

I recently started using fertilizer, and I have put down insecticide, but I waited until all of the damage was gone to start. I did it that way so I could eliminate those things being a possibility. 

Hmm.. I dunno. The issue i have is the badly affected leaves in the first picture wouldn't magically become totally normal and it certainly wouldn't happen in 2 weeks or even a month. And the plant looks exactly fhe same size afyer a month? I'm sorry but dont buy it. I need more proof.

Leaves do not "heal" either. The plant will let them die and drop before it devotes any energy to "healing" them. Once they get to the point of your picture they are toast sooner or later.

Keep going and keep documenting!  It was a nice read and the potential is very cool/beneficial.  :)

Edmick said:
Leaves do not "heal" either. The plant will let them die and drop before it devotes any energy to "healing" them. Once they get to the point of your picture they are toast sooner or later.

Sorry for giving that impression. You are correct, many of the leaves are new growth. However, look at the photos closely, because you can see many of the same leaves in both photos. Up to that point the plant had been fighting the infection; it would grow new leaves, but then they would just turn brown like this others. That stopped happening nearly overnight. The leaves that had small damage stayed healthy, and the ones that were already severely damaged got no worse. Keep in mind that the leaves in the "damaged" photo represents 2 weeks after treatment. When I first applied the mix, virtually every leaf on that plant was burned. I'm sure you've experienced something similar, and you know that once that stuff's on there, that leaf will drop inside of a few days. That should give you some idea of how fast this took effect. 

If the leaves aren't as easy to pick out, you can definitely see the difference in the color of the stalk. 

I wasn't expecting this to work as well as it did, and that's why I didn't document it as thoroughly as I should have. The plants do not get sick now, so in order to recreate the damage I'd have to obtain some new diseased dirt. At this time, all of my compost and potting mix has been treated, so I am looking for people in my area to test with theirs.

The short explanation is that I take some of the diseased leaves that have already fallen off the plant, as well as some of the dirt. I mix a few things in there along with that and I culture it. Because the specific bacteria that caused the damage is what grows it's own antibiotic, the blend is custom made to heal my garden. 

As far as peppers go, there are four strains of bacteria that cause this damage. I don't have a method to test and tell you which one(s) are being cultured, but I'm certain that something is, heh, because the mix reeks once it's ready. 

Yes so then..... I am interested in the "taking some of the diseased leaves....."   This has a foundation. I agree that if your could cultivate the intrusive bacteria and find a way to mitigate its influence.... you could have a winner !   But when you say "I mix a few thing in there..."  well I'm not following. 

Perhaps you have something that will be beneficial to all pepper lovers of the world.  But you will have to be much more.... "scientific" in your approach.

I'm not hating on the idea. But so far I see no real evidence that your "cure" is actually a.... cure.  Maybe the improvement in the peppers was from a weather change, or better watering technique, or who knows.... Could be aliens :)

Keep up the study and I'll be watching for your results !

Jeff

This is actually really cool. I've only had one plant that has put out new foliage like that within a month though. Extremely impressive.

Back