• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Mustard BBQ Sauce with a kick

Something a little different
Mustard BBQ Sauce with a kick

* 1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard
* 1 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1 large sweet onion - small diced
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo
* 1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.25 mL) salt
* 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper
* 3 yellow Scotch Bonnets or pepper of your choice
In a saucepan cook onion in butter till translucent
Put all other ingredients (except mustard) into a blender and blend to a smooth consistency, add to pan
Stir in mustard to pan, let simmer for 20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until slight reduced.
Enjoy

Attachments

• 20161113_163822_resized.jpg
    20161113_163822_resized.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 101
Thanks all, I also use it as a base for a two other Sauces...
For a Stone crab claw dipping sauce,
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup mustard BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lime

Key West Style grill sauce
For grilling shrimp or fish use as a marinade by adding
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup mustard BBQ sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
3 or 4 cloves of garlic minced
Fresh chive and or cilantro

So it can be pretty versatile

Is the butter required? I am trying to create a mustard bbq sauce for christmas but would want to make it early. I am still new to the sauce and bbq sauce world- so not sure how fats and oils keep. I see it is mentioned it would keep up to a month or so in an above post you made- but wondering if that could be longer without the butter? Is bbq sauce something you have to check ph level for as well and does butter affect that? 

stabzmcgee said:
Is the butter required? I am trying to create a mustard bbq sauce for christmas but would want to make it early. I am still new to the sauce and bbq sauce world- so not sure how fats and oils keep. I see it is mentioned it would keep up to a month or so in an above post you made- but wondering if that could be longer without the butter? Is bbq sauce something you have to check ph level for as well and does butter affect that? 
Hey there! You can substitute the butter with an oil such as olive oil, but you still need to sauté those onions down to bring out the sugars. To be safe I would suggest a cheap ph tester to make sure its in the proper range and sterilize your utensils and jars before hot packing it. I have never made this sauce with shelf life in mind, as I use it up pretty quick.

Back