• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests My Aphid Deathbox

I've had a TON of aphids recently, and it finally got to the point where no amount of squishing could even scratch the surface. There weren't many ladybugs around, so I went ahead and ordered 1500 of them for $7. Not all of my plants were affected that badly, so rather than just letting them go in the hoophouse, I figured I'd build a nice little aphid deathbox :hell: . Easy as pie, a few wood scraps and some cheapo screen. I've been leaving a few plants at a time for a couple days each, with plenty of ladybugs per plant, and I'm happy to report my aphid problem is no more.

IMG_0735.jpg

I was wondering, would this also work as an isolation chamber? Or is there something inherently flawed about window screen that I don't know about? There are a few TINY gaps, but not to the point where I could see much of anything getting in/out.

Also here's a few pics of my most recent harvest

IMG_0730.jpg

These bhuts are all from one plant, I'm holding off on the other 7 until I can figure out what to do with them all...
IMG_0741.jpg

Nice little setup. I've learned the hard way after fighting aphids for months that the ONLY thing that works is ladybugs. I get around the same amount, but never bothered with a cage of sorts so half fly away, but even if only half remain on the plant it still gets rid of them.

" would this also work as an isolation chamber? "

isolating from flying and crawling bugs, yes

but remember that wind can bring pollen with it

if you want to sit in there with something or another

(or with nothing but yourself to 'meditate' for example)

i think you would want it a little bit bigger and lightproof as well

(so no one sees :eek: what you are doing and you could lay down)

good growing

if you look around here you may find 'lots' of grows that are OPEN POLLINATED

Back