misc My booth setup, table and displays

had a stellar turnout, 5000 paid (adult) through the gate (under 18 got in free) for my first day at my first event.

thanks to SL, i had a great setup, a constant stream of people queued up at both tasting stations and sold 19 boxes of product in 7 hours.  the keychains, not so much. only 6 sold, on a $3 or 2/$5. not sweating it though, as the sauce was the showcase, not the merch.

with SL's suggestions, i had a case of 'Thank You' teeshirt bags under the front table, and left room on the front of the table for people to set bags down.

i had a nice '16 gauge clear vinyl roll for the table top, for easy cleanup and spills (6 people dropped sauce)

had over 250 at the booth, with me and a friends daughter helping me.

each person was invited over to try, offered the choice of spoon or chip (i had those small debutant spoons, and tostitos scoops). chips were kept rolled up and samples were poured by staff only. only used 1.5 bottles of each. nearly 3/4 of all visitor who tried bought a bottle.

cinder and stoke sold nearly 1:1 with stoke selling 10 bottles more.

7 hour day went by in a snap. with 1 hour to go, sales dropped off the cliff and had 1 sale in the last 60 minutes.

at the show there were 170 vendors. no one else had a booth like mine. a few tents blew over from wind guats but my weight plates i got with the MightyTent were perfect. zero issues. i used TentCraft.com to manufacture it.

tent is a 10x10 mightytent with a 10x10 screened rear, black side skirts with bars, and a custom valence.

table is a powerstretch fully printed cover with zipper in the rear on an 8' table.

the displays were built by me from crates and bare wood, like the sample trivots.

the keychain was from ColdStone Creamery when it went out of business. bought 3 of them for just $5 each, used chalkboard as a dropin back and $30 worth of towel hooks (black) holding 3 of each keychain color.

i still need a solution for lighting for the fall.

and an anti-fatigue mat for the front table instead of standing on the hard packed ground

IMG_8662.JPG
IMG_8663.JPG
IMG_8665.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG

edit: had more people at the booth but just over 250 actually samples. very few refused, but every ome that stopped asked questions or was invited over by us. no one was ignored

one woman acused me of having bad info on the nutrition panel claiming hot sauce has carbs.  i explained  that cinder and stoke had 0 carbs but she was adamant.  in the end i encouraged her to actually try them and she bought a bottle of stoke haha

very nice looking set up, and you handled the ignorant customer well.

Sorry to hear. Nice looking set-up for sure.

As for the tent: I've seen it many times.

my employee had asked me 10 times why we use 4x 30lb weight bags. Then she saw a neighbor's 10x10 fly 30' and wrap itself around a light pole. She never asked again.

Insurance is a bust because your deductible will cost more than a new tent.The they'll raise your rates as a bonus.

From what I've heard a dozen times+ is that the mfgr is going to tell you that the warrantee doesn't cover "negligence". Since you either 1. didn't have 100+ lbs of wrights or 2. Had it out in gusty wind or 3. Anything else they can think of ("act of God") it's unlikely it'll be covered - but no harm in asking.

That said, the tent is much less $ than that sweet custom canopy/sidewalls so hopefully none of that ripped.

Glad your sampling went well - bummer about the tent. I've seen it happen dozens of times over the years - my neighbors have laughed at me for strapping the weight bags on sunny & calm summer days. But when the random 50 mph gust hits, Mother Nature shows you what a right bitch she can be.
:(

Good luck man.

Regarding sales, did you only sell 3-packs? Or were you just saying you moved 19 of them in addition to normal sales? If the latter, that's a solid day.

Man that really sucks about the tent. Many markets require minimum 100 pounds of weight. I think you said you had that. Playing with a new phone now and don't know how to check pm. Sales were good though.
Just checked. He had 250 pounds.

salsalady said:
Man that really sucks about the tent. Many markets require minimum 100 pounds of weight. I think you said you had that. Playing with a new phone now and don't know how to check pm. Sales were good though.
Just checked. He had 250 pounds.
250 lbs?!? Plus a 50 lb tent? That can't be right.

That'd take a tornado to lift.

Unbelievable. I've had 60 mph gusts with 120 lbs of weights and my tent didn't budge.

each plate was 33 pounds it turns out. so 132# plus tent stakes. yep. was solid all day with 10mph gusts on the weatherchanel in the area. 

pic shows stress bends. it must have wiggled itself loose maybe? eachp plate separates into 2. a full plate is 66# which is where i thought 250. i had 4 half plates.

IMG_8701.JPG
IMG_8700.JPG
IMG_8698.JPG
IMG_8677.JPG

last pic shows how the plates work. square leg goes into either side groove unless it's doubled up and then its dead center

im so bummed. it looks modular and every piece comes apart if need be (bolts not rivots)

still. living high like a king for 7 hours then heartbreak :(

and LD: 28 total cases sold in 14 hours (last 1 hour for eaxh day was dead, so basically 28 cases in 12 hours)

sold them 2/10 or $6 each. had an assistant and we literally had a line at the tent from 11am to 5pm with 90% sales buying the 2/10

sales were 1:1 cinder:stoke day 1, and 2:3 cinder:stoke day 2 in terms of what sold better

i had a few people pay $7 for priority shipping so they didnt have to so it (gifts)

sold a few 3-packs and just a handful of keychains. but everyone made a beeline for my tent as soon as they came in.

roof has a hole in it. side valence torn. corners smashed. truss rods bent.

it's only material and thank GOD no one got hit.

the guy behind my booth lost his entire tent when the lega broke. glass plates and stuff all smashed. total loss. 4k merchandise lost. NO INSURANCE. the guy was in tears.

skipping insurance is stupidly risky.

someone else's crappy ezup flipped over on a woman and her baby carriage. scuttlebut had it she was suing. he was not there day 2

edit each foot has a 6x6" flat square foot plate

FWIW-----a lot of vendors drop their canopies down to the lowest level overnight....... :(

still really bummed for you and everyone....

Not to sound like a hindsight 20-20 guy when I ask, but is that an aluminum tent?

If so, that's why I always advise steel frame truss top.

In the close-ups it looks aluminum.

Regardless, it sucks, but I highly recommend steel for anyone using a pop-up commercially. I've seen aluminum bend just from normal usage over time. Steel is heavier but far more durable.

And yeah - that sweet canopy with the stretch back-wall? Looks great, but acts as a giant sail at outdoor events. I use a 6' banner with 6x 2' bungees - if the wind starts whipping around I unlatch a couple of the bungees.

And as SL said - always drop then tent down if unattended overnight.

I know it's all hindsight at this point but you'll be back out somewhere soon, so good to file away as "lessons learned". I was very fortunate that I had great advice about it all from friends who'd worked pop-up businesses. But I've seen many horror stories in 3 years of farmers markets.
Good thing you sold all that sauce so you can pay for a new tent!
:D

Yes I was unfortunate two weekends ago as well. Here in Central Florida, rain can come down like you never seen before. Day 2 of a festival I walked in the morning to this. There was enough water in there to fill a hot tub.

Attachments

• IMG_20150412_091206883_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150412_091206883_HDR.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 70
Wicked Pepper said:
Yes I was unfortunate two weekends ago as well. Here in Central Florida, rain can come down like you never seen before. Day 2 of a festival I walked in the morning to this. There was enough water in there to fill a hot tub.

Ugh - yeah, when I do markets in the rain, I have a stick handy to push the top of the tent to get the water pools out. You get gallons and gallons pooling up there. Water = 2.2 lbs / qt. 8+ lbs/gallon. 

Never leave a pop up out in the rain - so uh, you may now call me captain hindsight. 

Unfortunately the rain came overnight, I have contacted the maker of the tent. I have a picture of 50 + vendor setups and mine is the only one destroyed. The lady right next to me had the exact same tent and was perfectly intact. I had only used the tent three times. Hopefully they agree that it was defective. Wishful thinking maybe. At least the tent was my only loss and the frame that held my Hot Pepper award also bit the dust. Suffice to say I've already bought a new steel tent.

Sam & Oliver said:
had a stellar turnout, 5000 paid (adult) through the gate (under 18 got in free) for my first day at my first event.

thanks to SL, i had a great setup, a constant stream of people queued up at both tasting stations and sold 19 boxes of product in 7 hours.  the keychains, not so much. only 6 sold, on a $3 or 2/$5. not sweating it though, as the sauce was the showcase, not the merch.

with SL's suggestions, i had a case of 'Thank You' teeshirt bags under the front table, and left room on the front of the table for people to set bags down.

i had a nice '16 gauge clear vinyl roll for the table top, for easy cleanup and spills (6 people dropped sauce)

had over 250 at the booth, with me and a friends daughter helping me.

each person was invited over to try, offered the choice of spoon or chip (i had those small debutant spoons, and tostitos scoops). chips were kept rolled up and samples were poured by staff only. only used 1.5 bottles of each. nearly 3/4 of all visitor who tried bought a bottle.

cinder and stoke sold nearly 1:1 with stoke selling 10 bottles more.

7 hour day went by in a snap. with 1 hour to go, sales dropped off the cliff and had 1 sale in the last 60 minutes.

at the show there were 170 vendors. no one else had a booth like mine. a few tents blew over from wind guats but my weight plates i got with the MightyTent were perfect. zero issues. i used TentCraft.com to manufacture it.

tent is a 10x10 mightytent with a 10x10 screened rear, black side skirts with bars, and a custom valence.

table is a powerstretch fully printed cover with zipper in the rear on an 8' table.

the displays were built by me from crates and bare wood, like the sample trivots.

the keychain was from ColdStone Creamery when it went out of business. bought 3 of them for just $5 each, used chalkboard as a dropin back and $30 worth of towel hooks (black) holding 3 of each keychain color.

i still need a solution for lighting for the fall.

and an anti-fatigue mat for the front table instead of standing on the hard packed ground

attachicon.gif
IMG_8662.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8663.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8665.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8666.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8667.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8668.JPG

edit: had more people at the booth but just over 250 actually samples. very few refused, but every ome that stopped asked questions or was invited over by us. no one was ignored

one woman acused me of having bad info on the nutrition panel claiming hot sauce has carbs.  i explained  that cinder and stoke had 0 carbs but she was adamant.  in the end i encouraged her to actually try them and she bought a bottle of stoke haha
Was curious how much your setup set you back?

The Frame, Canopy, Side Walls, Side Bars, back Wall was 1432
The Rear wall screen, front valence was 204
The Table was 427 (8' powerfit table with zipper in rear)
The footplates (33# per half plate, of which I had 4 half plates) was 285
I ordered an extra roller bag to store and lug it around (holds all except the weights) was 118

200 to ship it cost me 2600 total.

I wanted to give myself an advantage, and felt this was a worthwhile investment because the tent was a 5-year life expectancy.

An update on this:
My insurance deductible was $500
The company is giving me a completely new tent for $566 total.  I can keep the old one, for parts, or if I want down the road, order new legs or try to find a craigslist beater to steal parts from and end up with a beater 2nd tent.

I think that's fair.  No insurance claim, I'll have a brand new tent by the 28th.

Cool!

Did they tell you how to secure it better? Or did they admit fault, as in, it is not supposed to do that? 

Back