• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

Very cool thread. One of those Heliamphora sure would look good in my apartment. Couldn't bring one in without a sundew and vft also though.... decisions decisions.

Great pics! Very cool world, and nice complement to pepper growing!

Yes heliamphora are very cool plants. They came from the lost world; sky islands, in south america. Due to these very high square mountains(tepuys), the animals and plants evolved very differently. This place is the inspiration for the movie jurassic park. Of course no dino up there, but the plants are very differents and ancients. You can clearly see heliamphora are in fact simple rolled leaves. Very primitive plants. I give em meat once a week, and they just thrive.

Also they can be very tricky to grow. One of the harder plant to grow. They need 90%+ relative humidity, because they grow almost in clouds. Cool day temperatures, and cold nights (24C/10C).
They require crystal clean water, like rain or distilled water. They grow in acid soil mix, like peat moss. And they need a very high amount of light. I have to blast them with many t5 tubes.

Good information. I'll wait the summer time when I can assemble what they need to grow. I am thinking a terrarium to regulate their humidity. Light should be a major problem, and they look so stunning I imagine it's worth the trouble. This is a great thread.

My Nepenthe did 2 pitchers:
163840IMG20150205091009708.jpg

This is the first one that appeared but did not change for 3 weeks, it still look like that. Do I just need to be patient or is there some I am not doing right ??

If the growing point is healthy, dont worry too much. As i can see on the picture, you have a little basal growing at the base. Its kinda rare at this very young age. So from my opinion, its probably the reason why your lil guy grow so slowly. Keep a eye on it, dont overwater it, im pretty sure everything is fine :-)

Alright... in fact there are 3 of them  growing from the base (it is the base of a plant that was way bigger). I'm not watering it since the moisture level seems pretty high with the bag.

I just took a look at it and the 2 pitchers are on the same plant, and I notice that the first pitcher has now his ''mouth'' open. Now that makes me happy.

little status update on my drosera: 
It had a full head of dew (once i stopped misting it as suggested) then all of a sudden it just disappeared and the hairs kinda wilted. Too dry/cool for it? Its been pretty cold the last couple weeks.
On a positive note... looks like it has a very steady diet of fungus gnats from the neighboring plants.
DSF0802-print.jpg

not certain since its not really in a controlled environment. the house is generally around 68-70F all day. I'd guess the RH has dropped a bit lately due to the heat being on a lot. Lighting is the same as before.. still in a window and under those T8s 14hours a day. The light is a little further away now. I'm not feeding it... it seems to be getting PLENTY on its own as you can see from all the rotting gnat carcasses lol.

soil is whatever it came in... looks like mostly sand and perhaps some kinda peat or coir. I add some water to the top to where it comes up to the leaves  every few days.
I'm going to let it dry out for a few days and see if it perks back up. I suspect some over watering issues.

Bonjour Maiden - I recognize your photos from OCPS.  Good to see you here too!  I've not been to active on this site, but I am hoping to remedy that.  I need to get growing (and then drying over smoke) more chilies this summer.

soil is whatever it came in... looks like mostly sand and perhaps some kinda peat or coir. I add some water to the top to where it comes up to the leaves  every few days.I'm going to let it dry out for a few days and see if it perks back up. I suspect some over watering issues.
I agree with you; i think its a watering/soil mix issue. The watering routine need to fit the media mix. You should repot your lil guy in some fresh mix(50/50 peat moss/perlite), and add water only a couple times a week. No standing water :-)

Keep me posted !

Bonjour Maiden - I recognize your photos from OCPS.  Good to see you here too!  I've not been to active on this site, but I am hoping to remedy that.  I need to get growing (and then drying over smoke) more chilies this summer.

Hey :-)

What is your name on ocps ?

This thread gave me motivation to buy this!  I was having a minor fungus gnat issue with my seedlings.  Their population is severely diminished after just a couple days with this nearby.  I don't think the plant has fully recovered from shipping stress though.

Drosera Capensis 'Alba'
Defender.jpg

My fb buddy posted a few pics of his bog plants, he built all the ponds and stuff this winter. His Name is Darren M. All credits go to him, I didn't get his permission to post these though. 

Back