• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

WOW!!  very nice. Guess I will have to break down and buy a couple on line some where , Do you know any really good vendors that sell them? I just bought a couple of orchids at Lows Home and garden, they had some very small Venus fly traps which I didn't want and some Cobra lilies, but no Nepenthes. Walmart doesn't carry then either. Orchids and Bromeliads yes but that is it as exotic as they get. 

Very nice plant jb !
Lowii x truncata is around 15$, not so bad if you compare to some of my collection nepenthes. My n.tenuis is around 100$ for a baby plant. We are crazy :-P

$15 if you go with an AW clone. This is EPs Lowii x truncata wide peri and its a seed grown plant.
I paid over 100 for a couple BE hamata. And cutting generally run more too.

Yeah we are Maiden! I have known a few to spend $500 on a small plant before.

ThePepperTrent said:
Well sadly none of the Flytrap seeds germinated. I had them in moss, kept them moist, kept them warm still nothing. Don't know what I did wrong. 
Try to grow the moss by itself, forgeting that you have seeds in it. Let it dry out a couple times, don't worry about temperature. That's how I got these guys.
http://i.imgur.com/7VaBRb5.jpg
That was 10 months ago, they're a lot bigger now. I got the three of them by accident in moss from pitcherplant.org.

Also, if anyone wants to grow sundews, buy an adelae. Then, in a couple weeks, you will have many adelae,

Very nice, I picked up 3 orchids and a Bromeliad spent $85.00 on them no nepenthes though, I seen some nice little ones at a few online places,  Spotted one that they wanted $1,000 for, It had to be a very rare one. I forgot the name of it. I quickly went back to the 15.00-50 range, I just want two mid range between High and low land climbers which should grow just fine in my 50 gallon tank along with my orchids, I also found a place that sold not only the plants, but seeds also. Some of their seeds and plants were being sold on Ebay,  I would hate to buy some nepenthes seeds and end up with a bell pepper plant Ha!!.  I plan later as the plants get bigger to build a 6ft high x 4ft wide and 2ftt deep glass box with misters and small fans set up and of course lighting I know a guy that I can get glass or plastic fairly cheap,  If need be he will cut it to size. I know a place I can get some really nice live moss and cypress bark near where I plan to go fishing. 

$15 if you go with an AW clone. This is EPs Lowii x truncata wide peri and its a seed grown plant. I paid over 100 for a couple BE hamata. And cutting generally run more too.Yeah we are Maiden! I have known a few to spend $500 on a small plant before.
Hehe :-) Only a addicted can understand another addicted !I paid 200$ for a lil juvenile h.minor var pilosa (Aw), and now a few years later i got a big plants clump with 30+ pitchers. Just imagine the price of this!
cruzzfish said:
Try to grow the moss by itself, forgeting that you have seeds in it. Let it dry out a couple times, don't worry about temperature. That's how I got these guys.http://i.imgur.com/7VaBRb5.jpgThat was 10 months ago, they're a lot bigger now. I got the three of them by accident in moss from pitcherplant.org. Also, if anyone wants to grow sundews, buy an adelae. Then, in a couple weeks, you will have many adelae,
Nice! Well done seriously. I have to grow my own one day!

12993400715_16d9ed3d37_k.jpg

8808276006_7fec6f5803_k.jpg

9156359586_1cc501fb4e_k.jpg

Is there any Sarracienas variety that can survive winter in 5a zone ? I really like those and i'd like to introduce some in my garden.

Little update on my little guy that wasnt looking so great. I moved it outside in the heat and humidity (they are native in eastern NC) and tucked it in with some tray plants. It took off and even made a baby i guess in the back against the side of the container:

DSF0869-print.jpg

DSF0870-print.jpg

I have to head into the city tomorrow so I plan to stop at Lows and see if by some miracle they might have a Nepenthes if they do its mine,  otherwise I'll grab up a Cattleya, Dendrobium or maybe a  Miltonia if they have one.  I would really like to find a Cattleya maxima "Hercules x C. maxima Ecuador but that would be like going to Wal-Mart and finding a specimen size   
N. leonardoi filled with black pitchers. I would love to get a hybrid N. aristolochioides x" Raja" or a N. lavicola x N. tenuis.
I like the really big boys,  but I just don't the time or room to devote to such monsters, as it is I have to wonder what would happen to my collection of plants should something happen to me, maybe one of my great nieces would take them.    My grand daughters would most likely take a few plants, but they are really bad about killing plants. Maybe I can teach one of the girls how to take care of them, none of the boys give a damn about what I grow, I do have a Nephew in Texas that might like them. I'll have to see if he or his wife are still working at the Lows where He got all his palm trees. Maybe he could get a few Nepenthes and sell me some.  I may start my large indoor/ outdoor Terrarium that way I can get everything set up and I won't have to worry this winter getting to cold indoors for my plants.

...A 500euro plant!!

Just for the record;

The first heliamphora minor var pilosa flower has been pollinated, 5 minutes ago, for the second time, with h.minor var minor pollen. The pollen was frozen since last summer. 
(By the way, no need fancy methods, just put the pollen in a saucer, in a ziploc bag, in the freezer). 

The h.minor var pilosa stigma tip is already brown; thats mean its successful. I will keep adding pollen for the next few days, to be 100% sure. This will mimic whats happen in the wild with bubble bees.

Of course, the first flower will gives heliamphora minor var pilosa X heliamphora minor var minor seeds, but the main exercice here is to collect h.minor var pilosa pure seeds. So i will collect the golden pilosa pollen on the first flower, when the anthers will be ready and dry enough. The next pilosa's flowers will be pollinated with pilosa pure pollen. 

Time will tell !

Francois

Back