My Carolina Reaper has turned into a Palm tree!

So a while back I had an issue:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53245-help-my-carolina-reaper-is-showing-some-weird-leaf-issues/

Things were looking up so I posted an update: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53421-update-on-my-reaper-issues/

Now it looks like this.....

J9t5tbu.jpg

zXDuQYJ.jpg

r11SErL.jpg

s1xhotn.jpg

qPoQXEU.jpg

bx4FQyl.jpg

It went from "Long and leggy" to super compact at the top.

It was in a little box with a couple of weak grow lights to the windowsill that now provides it with way more light in 3-4 hours of direct sunlight than being under the lights for 8-10 hours. Only thing is the windowsill has a much lower temp than the box. It's usually mid to upper 60's vs the box that was mid to upper 80's.

I haven't fertilized it since the repot on the second post.  

Any Ideas? 

:rofl:  so sorry my friend !  not laughing at you ,  i got a o.w. red bbg7 that looked just like that end of last summer one i kinda neglected and left in a 1gal. pot i repotted to 5 gal. all good . it'll snap out of it when you can hit it with nitro and get it in all day sun or under some bigger lights 16 hrs. don't sweat it . it'll grow at the nodes ,  my bbg7 has  4 pods on it and it just sits at the kitchen bay window which is 6x5 ' faces the south lots of sun .    :onfire:

When a few plants get like that for whatever reason I let them be.
Most times it ends up making them branch out a LOT earlier.
No shade gets it to heavily branch out much faster.
I wouldn't bury it deep,why possibly mess up early branching?

You could top it now and it would grow branches from the nodes. Takes a month about, duno if you "have time" for that.

Otherwise yeah you could bury it most of the way up. I wouldn't go so deep there are no roots in the half of your pot.

Or yeah you could just let it grow as is without problems. Maybe u tie it to bamboo stake later no problem

Instead of topping it,I'd add some verticle lighting.
IF it starts branching out,problem solved.
If not by then you can decide what to do.
I'd also give it a few lite doses of nitrogen - fish fert or?

Messing with stuff isn't always better.
Mother nature always wins. LOL
I think a little side lite and nitrogen will give you a better idea about what your plant wants.

Burying it that deep can cause the trunk to rot after it already has become woody.  Don't do that.  Peppers don't form adventitious roots like solanums do once their bark has formed. It'll be fine and put out new stems from the nodes if you just let it be.

Also, that doesn't look like a reaper.  No black on the stem.

smokemaster said:
Instead of topping it,I'd add some verticle lighting.
IF it starts branching out,problem solved.
If not by then you can decide what to do.
I'd also give it a few lite doses of nitrogen - fish fert or?

Messing with stuff isn't always better.
Mother nature always wins. LOL
I think a little side lite and nitrogen will give you a better idea about what your plant wants.
I second the vertical lighting idea if you have the ability to do it.

If you are going to replant deeper, I would coat the stem with a rooting / cloning compound.  Maybe scrape each nodule a tiny bit with a razor before the rooting compound. Part of the job of the rooting compound is fighting rot.

So how'd it turn out? Curious because my reaper was just like that back in march. Just last month the whole lower area popped out a ton of tiny new leaves all over so i topped it to remove about half of the big "canopy" the large top leaves made, allowing sunlight to penetrate down to the new leaves. Its bushing out nicely now and only a little top-heavy.

If your not against it I've been experimenting with silica blast and it did help the stalk to become a ton thicker.

Back