• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health My Cayenne transplanted from hydroponics to soil has stopped growing

Newbie pepper grower here seeking some advice on what I should do. This cayenne plant grew from seed in early January and lived in a DWC hydroponic setup until the 3rd week of March. It began to flower but all the flowers were falling off so I decided my growlight setup wasn’t sufficient and took the chance of transplanting to soil. It went through a rough couple of weeks as it hardened off but managed to avoid losing leaves, however, there has been little to no growth since the transplant and definitely no flowering. Is this normal? Do I continue to wait it out? Fyi, there was one pod growing when I transplanted, it finally ripened a couple of days ago and was quite spicy. Appreciate any and all feedback!

F1E32857-54E9-4BA0-A9E3-02450BEF483B.jpeg

Converting from water to soil is a BIG shock to a plant. The root structure and nutrient absorption is different.

GIVE THIS A READ.

The fact the plant is still alive after a few weeks shows that it is slowly adjusting. I'd just give it some time.

I think it's probably putting all it's energy into root growth right now, until they're established in the soil. Same thing happens with tomatoes if you plant them deep - they don't grow visibly for some time but the roots are growing.

I think it's probably putting all it's energy into root growth right now, until they're established in the soil. Same thing happens with tomatoes if you plant them deep - they don't grow visibly for some time but the roots are growing.
Appreciate the knowledge. Curious, do the water roots transform into soil roots or does the plant start growing a new root system?

I don't think there's a difference. As far as I know, roots is roots...

They'll adapt however they need. Plants are amazingly good at stuff like that!

Back