• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Current Setup

Hi all,

I figured its time this newbie shared his plants. I've grown a few thai chillies here n there before but I'm started to get obsessed about all the varieties out there. It's a TINY grow compared to most of you but its mine :)

So at the start of the season I planted the following seeds;

Bishops Crown - saved from a pod my wife got from a work colleague. Loved the flavour! It's a bit sick at the moment but I'm working on resolving that. The pic of the flower below is from when it was healthy
gsKER55l.jpg

hUe6MLMl.jpg

Thai - Saved from a plant I grew a couple of years ago, originally purchased from Bunnings. - sorry this ones a bit out of focus. - was a bit behind the others as it got a bit too dry while i was on my honeymoon and my sister was looking after my plants... so hasn't flowered yet but its close.
KShOHnTl.jpg

Anaheim - from theseedcollection.com.au. theres a cool curly pod on this one too
KjQEIybl.jpg

0azkGnQl.jpg

Jalapeno - from theseedcollection.com.au
lS4vMYpl.jpg

Aji Limon - from....eBay..... I know I know.... in fact I purchased it as a baccatum lemon drop, but once it flowered it was apparent it was a chinense....
kcXfOo9l.jpg

BYlEgDvl.jpg

Later on, I also started a Rocoto Red, also sourced from eBay... I'm confident it is at least a pubescens because of the black seeds and hairy foliage, but time will tell if its the variety it was labelled as.
TaYLw7fl.jpg

This was my first time starting seeds indoors and I did minimal research. They were in some seed trays left over from seedlings id purchased previously in whatever potting mix I had around and under a CFL in a desk lamp. Seemed to work, but I'lll have some improvements for next season.

So currently all of these are in pots that are around 4 gallons. Pots have been spray painted gloss white and I'm having better results than I have had previously as this is keeping the root zones cooler. The Aji Limons did better than expected and after a failed attempt at growing watermelon I had a spare garden bed so that became the aji Limon bed instead. Looks like I'm going to get a LOT of these pods, so I'm going to try my first hot sauce too.

So I have also been busy creating a little seed raising box for next season. It's basically a box made out of MDF and lined with foil. I have some strips of 5630 LEDs along the top and a PC fan and some vents to provide airflow. I've been raising some spinach in it so far and it seems to be working well apart from some fungus issues I had before adding the fan. I'm also working on making this whole set up "smarter". I have an Arduino I've been writing a program for that will output the temperature, humidity etc to a little LCD screen and can control the lights/fan based on timers. It's a work in progress at the moment but I think it's going to work really well. I'm thinking about adding a germination mode for it too that will keep the lights off but adjust the fan as necessary to keep an ideal level of temp/humidity.
5sTxXNSl.jpg

ZgSUOn7l.jpg

1f17Oyol.jpg

Thanks for taking a look! I'm excited about focusing more on chillies next season and hope to have even better results to share then!

drathag said:
Aji Limon - from....eBay..... I know I know.... in fact I purchased it as a baccatum lemon drop, but once it flowered it was apparent it was a chinense....
kcXfOo9l.jpg

BYlEgDvl.jpg
I have this one as Capsicum chinense Limón. Through the months it is one of more dependable Capsicum chinense varieties.

drathag said:
Later on, I also started a Rocoto Red, also sourced from eBay... I'm confident it is at least a pubescens because of the black seeds and hairy foliage, but time will tell if its the variety it was labelled as.
TaYLw7fl.jpg
Did you manage to over winter the Rocoto plant?

I had fruit ripening on various plants throughout winter.

Nice looking start box. I haven't gotten myself an Arduino yet, but I may mess around with using my raspberry pi for something similar.

harry said:
I have this one as Capsicum chinense Limón. Through the months it is one of more dependable Capsicum chinense varieties.

Did you manage to over winter the Rocoto plant?

I had fruit ripening on various plants throughout winter.
I've been referring to it as an Aji Mochero myself. Seems to be just be an alternative name but helps avoid confusion a little. Nah the Rocoto didn't make it. Have a dozen or so plants ready to plant out now but would like the weather here to warm up more first.

AndyW said:
Nice looking start box. I haven't gotten myself an Arduino yet, but I may mess around with using my raspberry pi for something similar.
yeah a raspberrypi would work well too. It's been a big success. I've got some photos of how things are going in it over in the southern hemisphere growdown thread.

Back