• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My Dougies are red

I grew Douglahs for the first time this year, and every pic I've seen of Douglahs they have been brown, mine are big and healthy but they are red? What gives all my other chocolate stuff is brown. Any Douglah growers out there ?

Hey spankyscolts,
I split a pack of douglahs from Judy (pepperlover) with a friend. Every plant has been red out of that pack that made it. Six plants out of the fourteen seeds planted between us. I ended up buy a second pack just for me, also from her, as i wasn't getting good germination rate with the first pack. Two out of eight seeds on my first go around. Changed my germinating method back on the second pack and ended up with one plant out of two seeds and it is true to color. A bit elongated, but that beautiful burgundy / brown. It does seem to be happening more this year than last year from what i have seen. With red being dominant, i figured it was just coming back up genetically. So thinking that future selection of brown offspring should be less likely to go red. But just guessing on that with so many variables at play. Wonder if the red offspring will show some brown podded plants? I'm going to find out. Here are mine that are true color.
13465518930222.jpg

And one of mine gone red.
13465518653471.jpg

I got to shaped out the reds. That one is the more scorp stinger shaped one.

I just bought another pack from someone else. I really like the red one's flavor. But i think i love the browns maybe a bit more.
There was another post about the same thing happening to their douglahs to recently. Will see if i can find it.
I also got a pack of red douglah offsprings as a freebie from Judy with my second order. Which is kinda ironic now. :)
Ga GH

I have both the Douglah and the 7 Pot Brown. Both are brown when they color up. I have some crosses that are red and have the Douglah characteristics. Judy from Pepperlover se;;s a red version.

GA,
There are two strains, or phenotype may be better, of Douglahs. The Douglah is a short, squat or round pod. The Douglah SR is an elongated pod. What you may have there is a Douglah SR strain.

However, without knowing the exact lineage or source of the seed, it's difficult to say for sure what you have.

GA,
There are two strains, or phenotype may be better, of Douglahs. The Douglah is a short, squat or round pod. The Douglah SR is an elongated pod. What you may have there is a Douglah SR strain.

However, without knowing the exact lineage or source of the seed, it's difficult to say for sure what you have.
Thanks mikeinsc,
Did not know that about the dougies. I have really only seen the shorter smaller pheno.
Mine came from Judy, but no idea before her. I still have plenty of seeds from that second pack for next year. And grabbed another pack too from Peter @ semillas la palma to expand my chances next year. So will definitely have douglah section next year in the garden. Love the ones i got.
Take care, and thanks again.

Ga GH

The funny thing is my Red Dougies look a lot like my Butch T's .. I'm a it stymied as I recall my Dougie seeds came from 2 different folk and all are red ..

Back