• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite My favorite time of year just started!!!

ca90afa7b072__1280564791000.jpeg

That's right, It's Green Chili time!!! We picked up our first batch of Hatch style chili's, as well as some anaheim's and I am getting them roasted up for this weeks use. Once the Hot Versions start showing up I'll end up buying around 25-30 pounds of them to use throughout the year. I looooooooooooove Green Chili! I like to roast them with a little bit of Mesquite smoke added in. I just wish I had a roasting barrel to make it easier.

Cool. So I guess you just eat them raw? What else you do with them? Needing ideas.

We use them in everything.
you can eat them raw, but the magic happens when you roast them. Basically blacken the skin and then let them cool. I then stick them in the freezer and when ever I need some I pull them out, rinse the skin off under water and then dice the roasted chili's into anything I can. Roasting them gives them a great flavor, and makes them really easy to peel the skin off of. They also come in a huge range of heat levels. These all are milder to medium ones. You can get some that are hot enough to give you a good sweat and make you need ice cream so the morning is a little easier on your cheerio. I've also gotten some seriously evil pepper gut action from these in the past. They do have that potential.

They are great with eggs.
We Caramelize onions in Ghee (you can use butter or oil) with a little Hing, then throw in some green chili, some eggs, light salt, pepper,and a little garlic. We mix that with Skillet Potatoes fried with Thai Chili, and then mix it all together with a little Chorizo and make burritos with it. That's one of my favorite ways to eat them. You just can't go wrong with Eggs, Chorizo, and Green Chili. MMmm Mmmm!

We also do slow cooked pork and then mix in chunks of green chili and smother in BBQ sauce for Sandwiches, or make Straight up pork Green Chili. Or Tamales. Seriously anything and everything that can get them does. If I had fruit loops in the house I would add green chili to it for breakfast and it would be awesome.
When I ate red meat we would take green chili and Sharp Cheddar and Colby Jack cheeses, and stuff that inside of Hamburger patties. Called Tijuana Torpedo's.

This year I am going to finely dice some of them and add them into my Habanero Poppers for some added depth.

If you want a lot more ideas go to the Hatch Chili festival in Hatch NM. Your tongue will be so happy you did. I can't say all of the music is very good, but the food is amazing.
I won't be making it this year, but in years past it has been a good time.

There is no better aroma in the world than fresh NuMex chiles roasting on the BBQ, oven, or roaster. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

I have a buddy in ABQ and gonna see if I can get him to send me a box of New Mex to roast. I can't get enough when we go out there to visit. Supposedly there is an Albertson's market in So Cal that get in the New Mex. You're right J they are the kind for flavor. Pork chile verde with tomatillos, umum good

Back