• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My first attempt at vodka chilli

I have been soaking some Carolina Reapers, bbg Peach Ghosts, Dorest Nagas and Naga Vipers in a small bottle of vodka for a few days. I just tried about 1/2 a tsp and it's like drinking fire, I'm actually scared to take a full shot. Will it do any harm to leave the chillies in the vodka indefinitely or will they go bad?

Attachments

• 20191230_174002.jpg
    20191230_174002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20191230_173848.jpg
    20191230_173848.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 134
I did something similar but with about 6 fataliis in a large bottle. Way too hot to be enjoyable for me, may be usable as a mixer but not sure. I gave it to a friend.

The peppers will stay fine as effectively you're preserving them in 40% alcohol!

Wow .... that's jam packed ..... and with Carolina Reapers, bbg Peach Ghosts, Dorest Nagas and Naga Vipers!  :hot: !!!!!  I put 4-5 thai chilis in a 750 ml bottle.  

I usually just put a half of habanero in a bottle of tequila and fish it out after a day or two... adds a nice kick. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Swinglish said:
Will it do any harm to leave the chillies in the vodka indefinitely or will they go bad?
Small slices of pepper left in 190 proof for a long time start looking awfully nasty after a while. Visualize a handkerchief containing a good blow of flu goo and you get the picture. But no, they won't go bad.

If it's waaaaay to hot to drink, just add a shot or two to a new bottle and keep the rest in the cupboard.

salsalady said:
If it's waaaaay to hot to drink, just add a shot or two to a new bottle and keep the rest in the cupboard.
After straining out the solids?

DWB said:
Small slices of pepper left in 190 proof for a long time start looking awfully nasty after a while. Visualize a handkerchief containing a good blow of flu goo and you get the picture. But no, they won't go bad.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is way to hot to drink and enjoy, it's like drinking pepper spray. I will definitely need to mix a little bit with a big bottle of vodka to make it enjoyable. I should have made a video when I tried it, it wasn't funny (for me) at the time but I'm sure I could laugh at myself now it's all over

DWB said:

I guess this is because the pigments are also soluable in alcohol, so over time the peppers will lose colour. The mushiness is to be expected, that also happens on the kitchen counter.

I use two to three sliced superhots to a whole bottle of vodka (750ml or 1 litre.)  I wouldn't want it any more concentrated than that.

As with any fruit soaked in vodka, the colour does leach out, so over time the pods go a creamy colour and the liquid goes the colour that the pods were to start with.  I don't find the chillies as nasty looking as raspberries, which go kind of grey.  They still taste great, though.

One way to use it might be to use one of those BBQ injectors and "get a melon drunk" by shooting it  up. Reaper watermelon ...

Or, maybe you could do that with an eggplant or cucumber or tomato. Anything juicy, right?

Back