My first ever compost tea!

Since Norway is so far behind on everything that has anything to do with seaweed, mushroom, organic growth and so on.... So I decided to try and make some compost tea. So funny asking people at gardening wholesale places about this things. No one knows anything :)

Well, my setup is simple. Its a 20L bucket with a air pump with a large airstone. In it I had some organic liquid fertilizer with bacterias and some compost of cow and chicken manure in the "teabag". Any thing to add or any comment, please let me know! And yes, I make 6liters the first time starting in small scale. 

9417200154_8130325635_b.jpg

First of all congratulations on your first brew. Second, the tea bag should be directly over the air stone. You have to cover the top of the bucket because UV light kills bacteria. Add some type of sugar source to feed the bacteria. The list goes on. 

Search THP for the Forum: AACT A Beginners Guide To Compost Tea. It will have all of the info you need.

Good luck.

Ok, will move the bag! And its in the shade, so I guess there is no UV light then ? Can I add normal sugar ? And how much pr liter or gallon? Thanks for prompt reply 

And how about Zoolac for animals? Contains 2.8billion living bacterias pr ml! Lactobacillius, Pedicoccus and Bacillus. And 1.35 billion thermostable bacterias as Lactobacillius acidophilus! 

NorwegianChili said:
Ok, will move the bag! And its in the shade, so I guess there is no UV light then ? Can I add normal sugar ? And how much pr liter or gallon? Thanks for prompt reply 
I heard of people using cane sugar out here but i use powdered molasses.  Cheaper than the liquid kind and last much longer. A bag is only 12$ out here.  Never tried using cow poop but i do use earth worm casting and bat guano. I use alpaca poop or buffalo poop when it's available.  I use 5 tbl molasses per 5 gallon but you can get away with 2 tbl.  I use three air stones per 5 gallon bucket also.  Try adding mycos to it at 1 teaspoon per gallon for some amazing results.  I also foliar spray with mine every seven to ten days and i add cal/mag to my spray along with epsom salt.  One tbl per gallon for your spray of epsom salt.

So i added some molasses since I had it in the kitchen. And some magnesium, 350mg tablet haha.

Still curious about that zoolac tho

Mycos I can't find in Norway. Nothing is here to buy

The bacteria you listed for zoolac sound like a recipe for making yogurt. You should get plenty of starter culture just from the air and maybe a pinch of soil and a handful of fresh grass. The air+water+organic material are the building blocks of a bacteria factory that cranks out copies by the billions.

ok :=)

Got to ask to learn, reading is good, but asking is better. At least I think so. :)ill post a pic tomorrow when it's supposed to be done

The molasses needs to be un sulfered as sulfer kills bacteria as well.

You still need a cover IMO. Even if it's in the shade.

Yeah, gonna buy a lid and screw a screw to hang the bag from. But I covered it with a black garbage bag. Hope that does the trick. Its getting darker in there tho! And the water here is so clean that theres no chlorine in it :) Thats one good thing about this country 

9418340886_d02812a5bf_b.jpg

No chlorine that's sweet.  I use this stuff called amqueill.  Takes the chlorine out of your water.  

3/5King said:
The molasses needs to be un sulfered as sulfer kills bacteria as well.

You still need a cover IMO. Even if it's in the shade

I forgot to mention this thanks for posting.

Back