• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering My first flowers (in winter)... now what!?

I'm a first time grower, and my first batch of noname chillis are starting to flower inside my indoor tent.
This is already way beyond my wildest expectations :)
With a month of winter still to go, what should I be doing to keep them going?
I haven't been doing much to them other than watering them about once a week, and feeding them (seaweed solution) about once a month.
They (2 plants) are still very small - about 15cm high.
Is there anything I need to do now that they're flowering? OR just keep doing what I've been doing?
2995za.jpg

Totally up to you what you want to do. Most people would pluck them buds and flowers while they are indoors yet waiting to go outside. Your plants look very healthy and peppers will veg and bloom at the same time, at least they should. If your gonna keep em on take a little wet paintbrush and rub it around the inside of that flower so its pollinated. Being indoors with no pollinating insects and lots of wind, they are most likely to fall off from not being pollinated. Good luck.

I would cut the flower off. The plant is small and it need to focus on growing in size, not on producing fruit.

Ditto on pinching the buds. I say pinch em until you get tired of it. Eventually they will spit out so many buds that it becomes too tedious to keep pinching them. At that point they should be big enough to be able to support a lot of pods.

Thanks guys. I've pinched.
I'm planning on putting the plants outside in about 6 weeks. Should I keep pinching until then, or ease off and let a few of them get started before I take them outdoors?

They are looking great kerosene! I'm currently growing a load indoors under lights too, but am quickly running out of room.....hurry up spring!

I haven't pinched any of my flowers off though, as I don't want the plants growing much more due to lack of room...and I was hoping that if the plant is making flowers then hopefully they won't get too much bigger before I can plant out...

Good luck :)

It probably makes sense to keep pinching until they go in the ground (or are you growing in pots?). There will be some stress on the plant when you put it outdoors and it is likely to drop any baby pods that might form in the next few weeks because of that. Either way, make sure you do a proper hardening-off process to keep the stress minimal and make the most of the great head-start you have.

P.S. Plants look great, especially for an indoor grow!

Back