• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My first Flowers!

I've been pinching the buds off my plants for some time now. I want them to get a little larger before they start to bud and flower. Well, even though I've been very diligent and have been pinching them every other day, I guess I missed two. These are on a Super Chili that's still planted in a 3" pot. Not sure if I want to leave them or continue on with pinching. I have a few other Super Chili's so I may leave this plant and see how it does.

superchilibud02.jpg

superchilibud.jpg

Super Chili is incredibly productive. If it's just one plant, I don't see any harm in leaving a few flowers. If they set fruit and impede the plant compared to your others, then you can always pinch the green pod, and it should continue to grow.

Yea, they seem like they're going to be productive. I take about 25-30 buds off the larger plant every few days. I'm almost at the point of the year where they can go into the greenhouse without too much worry. I'll probably hold off for a week or so given that we just had 3" of snow the other day :(.

Either way I was a little surprised to see the flowers when I was putting the plants out this morning.

Pinching flowers is a losing battle, as the plant grows, there are more nodes, more nodes = more flowers. It's even harder if it's a Chinense, you are bound to miss a few here and there.

A few months ago I was pinching when I ran into a couple pods, was not expecting them either.

Pleasant suprise.

the super chili is a fine little plant and a massive producer...and the little peppers taste pretty good with cayenne type heat too...

good luck with keeping up with the pinching regimen...I never pinched any and will start picking pods in about a week or two it looks like...I learned last year that I didn't need more than 3 plants to get all the pods I wanted...

I'm ready to give up on pinching the buds on all my plants. There's just too many right now. It wasn't a problem when the plants were smaller, but they've all got buds on them. Not to mention I have a few of the super chili's and each one of them has 20-30 buds. If I had known how prolific these little guys would be, I would've only planted 1 or 2.

NOw if I were Batman from the campy 1960 tv series, I would say something like "Yes Robin, pinching buds is a losing battle. Some might even go so far as to say that it's a fruitless effort..."

Back