• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My First "From Seed" Throw Down

Hello again...I've decided that my grocery bill is too high buying <roughly> 60 jalapenos and 200+ Serranos a month. So, I've been playing around starting seeds in a baggie, with a wet paper towel. I currently have access to fresh cayenne, habanero, jalapeno, serrano, chilaca, and ornamental chiles. I want to preserve the seeds, but they won't be ready to germinate until the first of the year.

How can I save seeds now...or is it ok to start them now, knowing it'll be 6 months befoer I can plant them outside.

I'm a total noobie at starting seeds...I live in the Dallas area, fyi.

seeds last for years and years if you store and dry them properly. =D

just read up a bit here on the grow logs of the masters here and imitate what they do.

i'm a noob myself. i've been successful somewhat on my own. all i did was watch youtube videos and read stuff here.

each environment and climate is a challenge of it's own. you could try and look around for places that grow chilis in your area and ask for advice from other growers.

Remove the seeds, then place them on a paper plate / coffee filter / paper towel indoors and let them air dry for a week or two. Once dry, keep them in a cool dark place. I store mine in baggies in the fridge.

Remove the seeds, then place them on a paper plate / coffee filter / paper towel indoors and let them air dry for a week or two. Once dry, keep them in a cool dark place. I store mine in baggies in the fridge.

Thanks...I'll get on that right away. A lady I work with had an over-abundance of peppers, and when she brought them to me, they were starting to wrinkle up a bit...no big deal for making salsa...but will that affect the viability of the seeds, if they have sat inside the pepper for a couple of weeks after being picked?

Thanks!

Follow SS's advice on preparing the seeds and when they're dry if they aren't black or fuzzy, (mold) they should be fine. Good luck and welcome to the show.

As the others have said, saving seeds is easy and they will last for years if properly stored. To save seeds, just de-seed a pod and lay them out on a paper plate, it usually take about 1 to 3 days for them to dry depending on the humidity. I them usually save my seeds in a coffee can and kept in my basement, some store their seeds in the fridge.

I would not start them now if your plant out time is around 6 months from now unless you have an excellent greenhouse. I suggest picking when you plan on planting outside and then count backward 3 months and that is when you should start your seeds. You could even push it 3.5 months and be fine, but if you start too early, keep in mind that you will then be transplanting mature plants instead of juvenile plants.

Here are a couple of great web sites with a pretty simple and good growing guides: Peppermania Grow Guide Here is another great guide: The Chileman

Back