• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My first Grow log!

I'm doing things wrong please forgive my newbie-ness!

Ok what I have done so far, De-seeded a jalapeno and I've placed the seeds on a paper towel and then placed the paper towel on the window sil so it could dry the seeds,

I'm hoping this will work.

Starting date 9-8-9

Dale, I live in norther Michigan in the Little pinky area, and thank you, How many days should I keep them on the window sill?

By the way these will be indoors plants.

PhatMan,

I have plenty of Jalapeno M seeds that are from a reliable seed company. I'd be more than happy to send you some (I'll put in some Serranos which are similar to Jalapeno but a little hotter). PM me your address if interested.

Oh, and to answer your question, keep the soil moist (not wet) and you should see signs of life within 10 days.

PhatManDerek said:
I'm doing things wrong please forgive my newbie-ness!

Ok what I have done so far, De-seeded a jalapeno and I've placed the seeds on a paper towel and then placed the paper towel on the window sil so it could dry the seeds,

I'm hoping this will work.

Starting date 9-8-9

PMD,

You don't need to "dry" the seeds first. Go ahead and start them by your method of choice. Keep in mind that the best seeds to use are from a vine ripened fruit. If your Jal was green, your chances of success may be diminished somewhat. But what the heck, you got nothin' to lose so give it a try.

Good Luck;)

PhatManDerek said:
How many days should I keep them on the window sill?

By the way these will be indoors plants.

PhatMan, You would probably be better off putting them on top of the fridge or someplace warm. You can just stick them in the dirt now, you do not have to dry them to get them to sprout. Are you going to grow indoors all summer also?

Dale

DownRiver, are posts must have crossed in cyber space. I actually brought up the topic of germination from green fruits about a year ago, last year I got 100% germination from green Jalapeno's.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
DownRiver, are posts must have crossed in cyber space. I actually brought up the topic of germination from green fruits about a year ago, last year I got 100% germination from green Jalapeno's.

Dale

100% is hard to beat Dale! I have had success as well with "unripened" fruit, but nothing close to perfect:!:

Maybe I'll go play with the search function on this site - see if I can find your post. I'm always looking for a good read:). Thanks

DownRiver said:
PMD,

You don't need to "dry" the seeds first. Go ahead and start them by your method of choice. Keep in mind that the best seeds to use are from a vine ripened fruit. If your Jal was green, your chances of success may be diminished somewhat. But what the heck, you got nothin' to lose so give it a try.

Good Luck;)
Cool, I thought the only reason I needed to dry them was to wash off the juice they were in.

thepodpiper said:
PhatMan, You would probably be better off putting them on top of the fridge or someplace warm. You can just stick them in the dirt now, you do not have to dry them to get them to sprout. Are you going to grow indoors all summer also?

Dale
I am unless they get too big.

thepodpiper said:

Dale
I hate when that happens.

DownRiver said:
100% is hard to beat Dale! I have had success as well with "unripened" fruit, but nothing close to perfect:!:

Maybe I'll go play with the search function on this site - see if I can find your post. I'm always looking for a good read:). Thanks
That's so cool that take seeds out of a piece of fruit that you just ate, and rebirth them into young plants.

I'm so very very fascinated with the aspect of this plant stuff.

Slow down somewhat mate, all the capsaicins gone to your head!! Have you ever seen a blade of grass grow?!!

What i am trying to say is that with patience it will happen, i also repeat what others have said before-keep the soil moist and not wet.

You will not see anything happen if you keep watching it, a watched pot never boils!!

Back