• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My first hot pepper hot sauce making experience.....

http://docp226.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/to-my-heroes-at-the-hot-pepper/

After what I went through tonight, I just want to say that you people are Super Human......
DocB

Great story. I have been in the fume cloud. Short....shallow....breaths. I suggest you don't look into the threads on candying peppers. That can get fun, but most importantly you have learned the value of ventilation.

Lol... thats a great story. I especially loved the imagery from The Rock... hahaha. I am soon going to make my first hot sauce using super-hots... I have about 3 pounds of Butch Ts, Bhut Jolokias, 7 Pots, and Scotch Bonnets that I plan to include in a grilled pineapple sauce. I expect that I will have to face the same caustic fumes. We've considered getting gasmasks and hasmat suits for the task-- and I intend to wait until winter to make the sauce- so that the cooking can be done outside on a gas stove without bugs flying into the sauce.

You can get used to it. It doesn't bother me at all when I make sauce with them supers. Not for the family though as they refer to it as HUMAN FUMIGATION! I will say that turning your fume hood on over your stove helps as well as a fan in the door or window. That has been made a rule by my family since it seems to hang around for hours after making sauce. What usually gets me is when I wash the blender by putting water in it and blending it to help get the sauce stuck to sides off, AND THEN OPEN IT! Then I will start to hack up a lung.

Well told story. Made me smile. My son once said, "What is wrong with you people?!?" I just shrugged~ :lol:

I too have been in the cloud of fumes and basically felt like I pepper sprayed myself. Not pleasant - eyes watering, throat constricted, short, shallow breaths.

It also tends to mess with my respratory system - many many times I've made a full 2-3 gallon batch at home and found myself constantly clearing my throat, sinus headache, sneezing like crazy. And that's with good ventilation!

One thing is for certain - capsaicin is no joke.

Good story. I laughed quite a bit because I have been there done that, and to make matters worse, my wife has no tolerance, so even if the fumes of the milder peppers don't bother me, they bother her as she hacks and coughs as she is yelling at me to get it out of the house.

I fould marital bliss (and saved myself a good bit of coughing) by moving this operation out to the side burner on the grill...

IMAG0614.jpg

I have definitely learned a very important lesson and just today picked up a burner at a garage sale that I can plug in outside!

Back