food My first hot sauce!

Hiya!

So several months back, I inherited a bag full of Thai green chillies from my Mom, who was going away for a while, and she didn't want her chillies to go bad.

Now, I'm Indian, and despite my amazing cultural heritage, and my love for spicy foods, I have yet to learn how to make good Indian food as well as my Mom. I had no idea what to do with this massive back of chillies, so I decided to make a hot sauce.

The inspiration came from my favourite go-to hot sauce, Sriracha. Yeah, it's common, pretty much everyone's tried it, and there's plenty hotter. I just like it cuz it's so tasty without being uncomfortably hot.

In any case, using some of those far eastern flavours as inspiration, this is what happened:

IMG_0378.jpg

Jalapenos and some Red Bell pepper ready to be roasted

IMG_0382.jpg

Green chillies, didn't get roasted

IMG_0394.jpg

Roasted Jalapenos (tried not to burn them)

IMG_0400.jpg

Green chillies and garlic

IMG_0397.jpg

Tamarind, for a bit of sweetness

IMG_0404.jpg

Processed the green chillies and bell pepper, adding tomato paste and jalapenos

IMG_0401.jpg

awesome, awesomer, SUPER AWESOME

IMG_0407.jpg

A bit coarse, need to get it finer

IMG_0409.jpg

Added more tamarind, tomato paste, a bit of honey, smoked paprika and liquid smoke

IMG_0412.jpg

Coriander/cilantro

IMG_0414.jpg

Blended in chopped coriander, ground coriander seeds, and ground cumin

IMG_0418.jpg

Ready to ferment for 3 days. Before fermenting, the flavours were really loose. There was an initial sweetness, several seconds later a punchy burn, and then 10 seconds after that, a subtle smokiness in the back of the throat. After fermenting, the flavours had some time to come together, and you could get that whole sensory experience in about 2 seconds. tasted great, but I thought it could've used some more heat and the flavours could've been a bit stronger and more vibrant.

IMG_0434.jpg

getting my acids ready

IMG_0435.jpg

Frying up some Kashmiri chilli powder for some added kick. Added my fermented sauce, and my acids, and boiled for a few minutes.

IMG_0437.jpg

Bottled.

Aha another Indian !!Hopefully he /she is not vegetarian.

Sauce looks good for the purpose you made it for.

Heat seems too less for me.

Color needs to be striking.

Rest wisemen of THP will tell

NJA

sounds like you have all the components. post back as you use it on different things.

The sauce is actually long gone...made it a few months ago, gave away some bottles to friends, and they all loved it.

Heat was actually quite intense, but it wasn't too sweet either. just enough sweetness to make the heat bearable. With nacho chips it was delicious, but a bit strong on the heat. On burgers and sandwiches it was the best, added an almost relish like sweetness but with a full on smokey scorching heat.

and NJA: lol I am definitely NOT vegetarian :D

Heat was actually quite intense, 
and NJA: lol I am definitely NOT vegetarian :D

What heat are you talking about. without Naga,Bhut,Douglah or 7 pot?
Since you are non vegetarian, you would not find yourself "Dirty" here hehehe (I am dirty being a veg)

Enjoy here

NJA

ok fair enough, it wasn't "crap my pants, eat my tongue and sweat out all the water in my body" hot.

But then I don't really like that kinda hot. I'd much rather eat something that has a building heat, and a lotta taste rather than something that just burns to the point where I can't taste.

ok fair enough, it wasn't "crap my pants, eat my tongue and sweat out all the water in my body" hot.

But then I don't really like that kinda hot.  I'd much rather eat something that has a building heat, and a lotta taste rather than something that just burns to the point where I can't taste.

So it was sumtin like my Thai chilli chutney pickle.

If what you described abt your sauce, then my friend, you are in a minority league here.

Taste, flavor and heat all can be accomodated in a sauce.

Slowly you would get to that point here.

Enjoy your stay here bro.  .Its Very informative and educative here.

NJA

Back