• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling my first jar of pickled peppers

go big or go home right.
404890_380165475342235_100000463579437_1538003_1128563944_n.jpg

some white vinager some salt and some mexican pickling spice and a couple garlic cloves....

jalapenos,serranos and some yellow chilis not sure what there called but there big,

Wait, all white vinegar? No water? Yikes.

What's in Mexican pickling spice? When i make whether it's with serranos or jalapeños i pickle them with carrots and onions blanch them, add salt, pepper corns, oregano, minced garlic, white vinegar, water and some olive oil. I don't know what the olive oil does it's just whenever i open a can of store bought pickled peppers there is always a little bit of oil in it. I can never make it come out tasting as good as out of the can though. I sometimes eat them right away but they taste best after about a week.

What's in Mexican pickling spice? When i make whether it's with serranos or jalapeños i pickle them with carrots and onions blanch them, add salt, pepper corns, oregano, minced garlic, white vinegar, water and some olive oil. I don't know what the olive oil does it's just whenever i open a can of store bought pickled peppers there is always a little bit of oil in it. I can never make it come out tasting as good as out of the can though. I sometimes eat them right away but they taste best after about a week.

Not sure whats in it but they are so good. i get it at the grocery store buy the mexican spices it cost about 1.50 and i dumped the whole package in there with 50/50 water and white vinager let them sit in the pantry for about 3 weeks then put it in the fridge. they are nice and crisp with lots of flavor.

The yellow peppers could be Jalaros or Miriachi's. Did you heat up the liquid before pouring it in the jar? That speeds up the process

Back