• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My First Mini-Glog Post (With Amateur Pics)

I'm a relative newbie, and pepper growing in the Northwest can be a challenge. However, we have had a nice late summer and it looks like it may keep going for a while. In the past, I bring a few of the better plants into the garage in October and try to extend the ripening process. This year, I may buy a cheap tent style greenhouse for that purpose. I only have about 15 plants, so this is a small operation. I snapped these pictures today (September 16th).

7993099168_7b5998299c.jpg

This is my first time trying superhots. A Ghost is on the left, and Trinidad Scorpion on the right. The Ghost is my weakest producer. The Scorpion is loaded but none are ripe.

7993099062_63d544ee47.jpg

Here's a closer shot of my Scorpion. I hope you can see those green pods among the leaves!

7993098828_032973ec03.jpg

One of my two fataliis. Lots of pods but no ripening in sight . . .

7993088063_c106f92229.jpg

A Numex Parker (left) and Ancho Magnifico (right). I had some pod rot issues with the early fruit but it's mostly stopped. It's hard to see the pods with all the big leaves in this pic. I love the look of those hand grenade-sized anchos but don't know what to do with all of them (stuff em?)

7993088147_027c1b95c7.jpg

This Cayenne has been fun. It's a big producer, and I've been able to harvest a lot already. Only the Jalapenos were faster. The pods go from green to red in just a few days.

7993087953_385d21491e.jpg

One of the Habs (4 total). This one was overwintered. It looked almost dead after transplanting into a bed. It took a long time to come back, but now it's loaded (yah!). I'm going to try to overwinter it again.

7993087797_0d4acd8258.jpg

Slow and steady row of Jalapenos. These always do great here and get harvested early for poppers, salsa and hot sauce.

Peppers are only about half the garden (squash, peas, carrots, lots of tomatoes) but I hope to expand it again next year. Thanks for looking at my mini-glog!

-hottoddy

Here's a quick pic of my little harvest today. The habs came from one plant. There are also few jalapenos, cayennes, fatalii and one scorpion morguga mixed in. Looks like I'll be making some salsa and hot sauce soon! The romas are going crazy. The weather is still holding, with more warm days ahead. The super hots are starting to turn colors finally.

8025341004_43f9e64122.jpg

Here are the last of my super-hots for 2012 getting ready for hot sauce production. These are mostly fatalii and ghost (some weren't quite ripe). I still have a bag of about 50 greens ripening, and left about 20-30 pods on the fataliis overwintering in my garage. It was a great year, and I'm hoping my little greenhouse will get me off and running quicker in 2013.

481447_4441525590168_1505523041_n.jpg

Todd, very nice harvest! You'll have to post up a pic of the finished sauce or your whole hot sauce production. The plants above look great!

Thanks! Yes, the season is pretty much all done. Snow hit the valley floor in Portland today. Last weekend I sheared my favorite 7 plants and stuck them in the garage. I left some of the big green pods on my fataliis, so I may get another bottle of hot sauce out of them. These plants were only kept going with a small greenhouse. Otherwise, they would have been toast by the end of October or early November at best.

Here's a few bottles of my latest hot sauce. I'm in the process of gifting them out. If you're my neighbor, you get hot sauce!

8285421827_f6c1244037_c.jpg

Oops. Edited picture - first time was a broken link.

Nice looking sauce...........Fatalii's, Ghost and Habanero's........oh my !

I bet that sauce packs a wallop..

By the way, the garden photos show that you had a good year, nice plush bushy plants.

Good luck with next seasons grow...

Greg

Back