• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My First Powder...

...and it turned out awesome! If I do say so, myself. :party:

I got this little gem for my birthday last month. It's a Nesco Gardenmaster. Also got two of the two-tray expansion sets, for four extra trays.

nesco.jpg

I had a lot of pods in the freezer after deseeding a few SFRB purchases from Baker's, Biscgolf, Pepperlover.com, Coheed, King Denniz, and a few from my only productive plant, a Caribbean Red.

Over my birthday weekend, we had a few people over and I fired up the smoker for some chickens. I just had to use up the leftover grill space, so I put some of the pods on skewers and smoked them along with the chickens. These were Dorset Nagas (2 skewers), Yellow Brains, Silver Surfer's Douglah x Scorp, and Jonahs (2 skewers).

smoked.jpg

So last weekend I fired up the dehydrator with the smoked pods and all of the others that were in the freezer. Here are just a few of the trays.

dehydtray.jpg

After they all completely done, almost 48 hours at 115 degrees, I had a big bowl of pepper potpourri! (About half of the pods were done at 24 hours). Most of the ones that were frozen took longer than the fresh peppers and those that were smoked.

potpourri.jpg

Broke out an old coffee grinder we had and powdered them up outside. Here is what I got out of seven trays.

powder.jpg

Later, I put them in a cleaned empty one pint spaghetti sauce bottle (no pic). The bottle was about 2/3 full. I didn't have enough of each individual pod type to make it's own powder. So I blended them.

This stuff is great! It is incredibly aromatic and not only the heat, but the flavor of the peppers really comes out when used in cooking or as a sprinkle on top of various food items. Killer sprinkled on chili dogs. 1/4 tsp is plenty on top of three chili dogs. Thanks to Salsalady and JoynersHotPeppers, I was able to roughly convert tsp to whole peppers. 1 tablespoon is roughly 7 peppers, so 1 teaspoon would be like one large pod. I doubt I will ever buy store bought chile powder again.

Anyway, I highly recommend this method to process, store, and use any leftover pods one might have.

That is awesome Brent I need to pick one up next week.

Thanks, bro! With your grow, you definitely need something like this.

That's a beast... what peppers did you use?

This is like 80% superhots (various 7 pot strains, douglahs, choc scorps, brains, bhuts, etc.) and 20% hots (choc habs, caribbean reds, arbols, boonies, bulgarian carrot and others). Only about 1/3 of them were smoked. Not only is the powder very hot, but it also has a very rounded flavor profile thanks to the variety of pepper types with only some of them being smoked. The smokiness comes out, but it is not overwhelming.

Looks great, I have 9 trays going right now and I think I either need to sell some pods or buy another setup. I have bins of ripe pods and I am not ready to start freezing yet! Is your powder clumpy at all? Seems like a short time at 115.

Awesome job!

Looks great, I have 9 trays going right now and I think I either need to sell some pods or buy another setup. I have bins of ripe pods and I am not ready to start freezing yet! Is your powder clumpy at all? Seems like a short time at 115.

Awesome job!

Thanks, bro! And thanks for the conversion help. The powder is really not clumpy, at all. I was thinking 48 hours was a long time. Do yours take longer? Perhaps it is more humid in Delaware. We are near the desert.

On a different note, if you decide to sell some pods that you think might last three days in a box, PM me and let me know what you have.

Thanks, bro! And thanks for the conversion help. The powder is really not clumpy, at all. I was thinking 48 hours was a long time. Do yours take longer? Perhaps it is more humid in Delaware. We are near the desert.

On a different note, if you decide to sell some pods that you think might last three days in a box, PM me and let me know what you have.
Will do, the smoker also helped dry and I overlooked that part. I dry everything in my basement where humidity is very low. Color is awesome, always dry slow and low as it will retain the nice colors. I am breaking out the smoker today for the real NFL kickoff!

when you dehyrdate do you get the orange oils seeping out on to your trays? Everytime i do some of my peppers will piss out onto my trays. Pick it off its tasty :)

Really nice baggie of powder. I have a couple of boxes coming to me from a trade mostly all Super Hots, but there will be a few oz's that will be powder, so I can get a good idea of how some taste as powders. I have quite a few red ghost peppers and some Chocolate Congo's that will be smoked, dried and powered that will be put into a quart bottle that surprisingly will just last till mid spring as I use the powers for everything. Can't wait to get started.
George W.

I have the same dehydrater. Mine takes about 3 days at a low temp. I let them get crispy. Your powder
looks delicious. I have to smoke some peppers next year, but first I need something to smoke them in.

Back