• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My first smoked Brisket

Nice first crack :cheers: - Briskets are one of the most difficult to do. Do yourself a favor and get a digital meat thermometer. 

Thanks for the comments . I am truly green when it comes to smoking . Need to pony up for wireless thermometer. Just for the record I am using a digital thermometer . I cooked another brisket Sunday for the super bowl and It came out even better than the first .  I know my carving skills suck so no need to reiterate that but feel free to do again if need be .  I just bought a 7 pound flat . Spiced up and set in fridge for about 24 . 

photo_zpsd7178c2c.jpg

I cooked it at around 250. At the 8 hour mark it had a 200 degree internal heat and a toothpick slid in like butter . 

photo_zps85f8c202.jpg

photo_zpsfe163d2c.jpg

The beef was consumed within 20 minutes . I almost didn't get to sample it . If I had not hidden some I would have been SOL :)

melted in your mouth 

photo_zps94a52300.jpg

I like the looks of that one a lot better!

Nice bark, color, and smoke ring. Innards look to be good but hard to tell.

It is not your knife skill it is your knife. You need a good knife for good slices. I bet your knife is dull and you are crushing it.

Looks like you had a great time there!!!!!!!

Actually, one quibble - I am in favor of THP's suggestion of not using foil and resting for the couple of hours on a rack in the oven or cooler ...

I won't be foiling any going forward. YMMV.

Nice job!!! I usually make a slit across the grain of the meat before I put a rub on. This is for when its done I know which way to slice it. But a good knife will help ;) Keep it up You havent made a shoe yet and thats a good thing.

Lookin good Jamie! Seasoning looks right, smoke ring looks good, moisture looks good -- I think you nailed this one.
And with a young pack of carnivores like that, I'm not sure you need to worry about the knife stuff. :)

You certainly raised the bar with this cook! Congrats!

This looking really nice. I wanted to try a brisket last year but there was no time. This year I have to cause it looks even better than  pp!!

Th foil just keeps the juices from running away which I use to make the brisket even more tasty . I think the key is just keeping warm and letting the beef do it's thing . But WTF do I know really . I have cut that beast open right off the smoker and it was divine . 

Th foil just keeps the juices from running away which I use to make the brisket even more tasty . I think the key is just keeping warm and letting the beef do it's thing . But WTF do I know really . I have cut that beast open right off the smoker and it was divine . 

The foil steams the bark - white I like a little crispier personally ...

A drip pan under the rack will still allow the meat to do it's thing in an insulated space, and provide the juices, and keep the bark a little nicer ...

Again, though, it's a relatively minor detail and that looks good!

Yeah the foil gives you that wrinkly wet bark. The towel lets the moisture escape but traps heat. The oven (as a warmer, just like professional warmers in restaurants) is open air, so that is also good. Foil can ruin hours of work if you like a really good bark. That's also why when some people foil meat on the smoker, it's not the last step. They will unfoil and let that bark lose it's moisture for the last step of the cook.

St.Louis - In my experience I find that the wrap for 2 is too long. I is just the way I like'em. There is enough shrink on the bone and flexes a bit. Not a biggie just a pref.

LUCKYDOG said:
St.Louis - In my experience I find that the wrap for 2 is too long. I is just the way I like'em. There is enough shrink on the bone and flexes a bit. Not a biggie just a pref.
Yeah it all depends on the ribs or butcher I suppose. Not all ribs are created equal when it comes to cut and weight. Costco has some damn nice ribs!

Back