smokers my frankensmoker

Last year, I attempted to convert a propane grill into a smoker. I moved the side burner into a box underneath the main grill body, and channeled the smoke into the grill itself. The grill burners were removed so the only heat came from the box beneath. It made some nice smoked jalapenos, but it didn't work that great. Too many leaks, not able to maintain a temp over 175.

This spring, a friend found a Charbroil H2O charcoal smoker at a garage sale for $3. I did a little looking online, and this was a pretty old model. The lid was much smaller than the barrel to let smoke out. The thermometer was at the top of the lid, and it had three indicators. Something like too cool, just right, and too hot. Not a great design, but for $3, it could be worked with. (Newer models are redesigned).

So, I ditched the grill body from my home made set up. I took in the barrel of the Charbroil to match the diameter of the lid, and I installed the side burner from the propane grill at the bottom of the smoker. I mounted a much better thermometer on the side of the unit, right between the two food shelves, and where the old thermometer was mounted is now a place for the smoke to escape. The bottom of an old coffee can is a damper. High temp black spray paint finishes it off.

First trial proved successful as I was able to adjust the heat to anywhere between 200 and 250 degrees easily. I was able to run it as low as 175 and I didn't find out how hot it would get. There was a lot of wiggle room left in the burner though. I'm sure it would go over 400 degrees.

Now for the pics:
972211_10201785664633676_337256296_n.jpg

1002294_10201785660393570_517488452_n.jpg

Problems: The handle on the door gets too hot. I'll have to rig something up for that. Also, I'm using the old charcoal pan to put wood chips in, but as ash builds, I wouldn't be able to empty it out, so I have to get or make a smaller pan. Also, some smoke escapes around the lid. I have some high temp silicone automotive gasket that I may try to use to seal that up with.

Any thoughts for more improvement would be welcomed. Thanks!

etothepii said:
Problems: The handle on the door gets too hot. I'll have to rig something up for that. Also,
Hell yeah that's metal on metal! Take a large round wood dowel or closet pole and cut a notch in it the size of that metal door handle, slip it on, drill a hole through the dowel and metal, then two larger holes on each side, and put a bolt through it, tighten it, and it will be recessed. Stain it. Done.

etothepii said:
Also, some smoke escapes around the lid. I have some high temp silicone automotive gasket that I may try to use to seal that up with.
http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

Gaskets. Find one that fits (WSM or UDS) or get rope gasket.

Or silica tape. Just google it.

you can also check your local hearth store, if you have one, for gaskets.  Wood burning stove gaskets work well. 

Thank you for the comments. I had read once about putting a bead of silicone sealant around the top of a smoker like this, putting a layer of plastic wrap on it, then putting the lid on. As it hardens, the seal will be the exact shape it needs to be. I don't recall all the details about it, so I will have to find it again. If that doesn't look to be practical, I'll go with something like what is mentioned here.

kalimazoop said:
you can also check your local hearth store, if you have one, for gaskets.  Wood burning stove gaskets work well.
Be careful tho. That stuff is 100% Fiberglass, and is always loosing fibers, like a cat.

You could always get some sensor safe RTV.. Working temps are up to 800 degrees F... It's better than silicone sealant.. It's non-corrosive, not effected by oils....

I used it to create perfect gaskets on my home built smoker!

Back