My grow list for 2011-- work in progress

Here is where things stand on January 3 after reading some comments, doing some more research, and really thinking about what I want to EAT not just GROW this year

Mild/medium annums:
Biker Billy (5)
Organic Jalapeno Early (3)
Jalapeno M (3)
Italian Roaster II (3)
NuMex Sandia (4)

Sweet peppers:
Blushing Beauty (3)
Privatit Hybrid (3)
Jimmy Nardello (3)
Giant Marconi (3)

Baccatums:
Aji Amarillo (3)
Aji Cristal (3)
Aji Habanero (3)

Chinenses:
Caribbean Red (3)
Bonda Ma Jacques (3)

Peppers I'd planned on but have no thrown by the wayside:
Fatalii - love 'em, but too hot for my wife; what's the point??
Purple marconi: advise taken from poster below that they're just not that good
Kung Pao: sounded cool, but couldn't really answer the "why bother" question
Orange hab: love 'em, but gotta make room for the cooler, more exotic ajis

I grew the purple marconi last year and it was just OK. Won't grow it again persoanlly. Anaheims aren't really sweet, just usually low on the heat scale but delicious

I planted Aji Amarillo in January. The plants got huge but didn't set fruit until October then froze before ripening.
I enjoyed the Aji Cristal. Nice peppers and fairly productive. Another Baccatum to try is lemon drop.
Caribbean Reds I grew in 2009 were surprisingly hot and made some very potent powder.

thanks for the input, guys

Potowie - would you consider any of the Anaheim-"like" peppers such as Anaheim TMR/Big Jim/Sandia/Joe E Parker/6.4 etc to be about the same taste except hotter, or is the Anaheim itself the one to grow?

thanks for the input, guys

Potowie - would you consider any of the Anaheim-"like" peppers such as Anaheim TMR/Big Jim/Sandia/Joe E Parker/6.4 etc to be about the same taste except hotter, or is the Anaheim itself the one to grow?

There are so many good ones, I usually call them Numex/Anaheims just to avoid any confusion. Sandias are the hottest I've tried but the sahuaro hybrid is my new favorite mild chile due to its amazing production

I stumbled upon the Giant Marconi two years ago. I found it at the depot. I will keep it in my garden this year. I guess I would call it "sweet" rather than Mild. I grew the Joe Parker last season and wasn't very impressed. The NMSU gives a decent description of most the varieties listed above. I need to find one to try quickly. The sahuaro hybrid sounds good from a production standpoint.

How does the Sahuaro taste in comparison to the Joe Parker or Marconi, Anyone??

I roasted most of my sahuaros and they taste just like good, very mild roasted Numex/Anaheim chile. I wasn't too impressed with the Joe E.Parker, or the sunrise/sunsets for their production. I think they like drier climates than mine.
Marconis are different peppers altogether but also great

Potawie – Noted your comment on the Joe E. Parker vs. Sahuaros. I’ve wrestled with what other NuMex/Anaheim to add to the Anaheim TMR and Big Chile that I grew last year (still have seeds so will probably start some). Going with Big Jim (may try heritage next year dependent on feedback) and now Sahuaro. Yield was the determining factor. Can’t beat Numex types for versatility; roast them, sauce them (both red and green), dry em’, powder ‘em. Great chile for the uninitiated to develop a taste for chilies without getting “beat up” by the heat.

Posted ^earlier^ was a comment on the Aji Amarillo. I had four planted in the pepper garden and all got very large (4 1/2’ to 5’). Only one of the four developed a few pods. They stayed green and never ripened until the plants were pulled in late October. I had one extra plant that was put into a small pot (3 gal.) that sat on the deck. This plant never grew much above 2’ but grew about a half dozen pods that ripened in September. The other baccatums grown were extremely prolific. All seeds were from the same source.

What gives? Am I wasting my time with this variety here in the north? Too many varieties, too little space!!

Back