• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My habanero plant, is it normal?

Well, I mean, aside from the weird looking leaves (which I found out was because of a Ca deficiency) ....does it look okay? It was a single stem with a couple of leaves when I bought it. Now a month or so later, there's about 4-5 different branches coming out of the bottom instead of the 1 and there's way more leaves. There are buds on the top too. Thanks for any feedback you guys/gals may have! This is my first time growing anything at all, so yeah! 

PKTc6Rg.jpg

P.S. I used pelleted lime as a calcium supplement. I saw someone using it in youtube videos...and yeah.. :) Should I take off the weird leaves?

I'm not an expert, but I personally would remove the old mangy looking leaves, it's got enough on it that it isn't going to stunt it any.  I also remove leaves that drag the dirt out of personal preference...It looks good otherwise IMO.  Nothing wrong with some branches forming from nodes, that's a sign of a potentially high productivity plant in my experience.

xBrianxEdge said:
Sweet, thanks for that info! You mean the leaves that are touching the dirt? 
Yeah I do it mostly because I don't want them to catch any kind of fungus or disease from my organic soil, but ideally it shouldn't be much of a problem if they aren't getting overwatered...plus I don't really want pods forming near the dirt either...I think the plant looks better when it's pruned around the lower trunk.  I can only offer my own experience other members may offer different opinions.

ikeepfish said:
Yeah I do it mostly because I don't want them to catch any kind of fungus or disease from my organic soil, but ideally it shouldn't be much of a problem if they aren't getting overwatered...plus I don't really want pods forming near the dirt either...I think the plant looks better when it's pruned around the lower trunk.  I can only offer my own experience other members may offer different opinions.

Definitely understand. Like I said, this is my first year growing ANYTHING, so I'm kind of going off google/these forums for tips and stuff :)

xBrianxEdge said:

Definitely understand. Like I said, this is my first year growing ANYTHING, so I'm kind of going off google/these forums for tips and stuff :)
Only other thing I might have to offer you is that if you have any issues with the leaves yellowing or curling try mixing a half a teaspoon of epsom salt in a spray bottle and spray it underneath the leaves maybe once a week or two. Plants like a little magnesium to go with their calcium ;)

How big is the pot? Does it have holes?

Looks fairly good to me :) I personally wouldn't grow it in a pot under 4 gallons. Then again I have a decent growing season length.

Spicy, it's like a 4.5 gallon pot. I wish I had bigger pots, but the nursery doesn't have ANYTHING in their recycle trash cans right now. They let you take anything they have in it for free, it's pretty awesome! Ikeepfish, I just sprayed the leaves with MgSO4 the other day :)

I spent like 3 years in a hippy commune. I'm all about recycled trash ^_^ That said, I bought some food grade 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot for fairly cheap. Much cheaper than those ceramic pots. But really your 4.5 should be plenty good for a season! If you plan on overwintering you might consider upgrading. I am gonna move mine from 5 gallon to 10 gallon in a year.

Lots are going to walmart and home depot and buying cheap fabric bags. Something to look into. Not sure how much bigger they would be?..

Spicy Mushroom said:
I spent like 3 years in a hippy commune. I'm all about recycled trash ^_^ That said, I bought some food grade 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot for fairly cheap. Much cheaper than those ceramic pots. But really your 4.5 should be plenty good for a season! If you plan on overwintering you might consider upgrading. I am gonna move mine from 5 gallon to 10 gallon in a year.

Lots are going to walmart and home depot and buying cheap fabric bags. Something to look into. Not sure how much bigger they would be?..
I went the cheap bag route this season and so far so good. I'm hoping to take a couple of my healthiest super hots inside for the winter and maybe one of my Caribbean reds as well.

Back