• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun my habs dont like the sun!

Hi

I am growing different varieties this year. My fatali, White habs and Scotch Bonnets have been 'living' in the shade for months now and dont like the sun. I also have lemon drops with the same problem. Whenever I try to pop them into the sun for a few rays their leaves start to go floppy and I put them back in the shade.
The seeds were sown on March 1st and although they have been slow growers the tallest plants are about 25cm tall.

Should I leave them under the porch where they seem happy, they have nice green leaves and seem strong but have shade.

thanks

I don't know how hot it is where you're at, but my hab plants LOVE the full sun. The hard part is getting them hardened off to that point. It's a gradual process, but once they can take the full blast of the rays they really do like it. Not if you live where it's 100 plus probably, but here the hottest I've seen this year was 91 and it's been ok. They only droop when they need water as well.

I agree with the hardening off scenario...the first set of seedlings I had got very very bad sunscald because I didn't harden off good enough...the second set which are month younger were hardened off for 30 days and are bigger than the first set...moving the plants in and out is a PIA but it prevents environmental change shock...

All, and I mean all of my plants are severly wilted when I get home each day after work with the Temps over 100F now, but with a little water, they recover nicely...I am having to water before I go to work and again after I get home...

As soon as mine pop out, I put them on my front porch which gets about 4 hours of sun a day, and gradually move them further out into the yard.

AlabamaJack said:
I agree with the hardening off scenario...the first set of seedlings I had got very very bad sunscald because I didn't harden off good enough...the second set which are month younger were hardened off for 30 days and are bigger than the first set...moving the plants in and out is a PIA but it prevents environmental change shock...

All, and I mean all of my plants are severly wilted when I get home each day after work with the Temps over 100F now, but with a little water, they recover nicely...I am having to water before I go to work and again after I get home...

Maybe you need to rig up some kind of constant trickle setup, of course I suppose that the stress of wilting every day might make you some searing hot
pods :hell:

rabbit said:
I don't know how hot it is where you're at,

In Spain and temps are about 32 at the moment (although its been a cooler July than normal and we have had rain this month)
As soon as they go out, the leaves go weak and floppy

Skyjerk said:
Maybe you need to rig up some kind of constant trickle setup, of course I suppose that the stress of wilting every day might make you some searing hot
pods :hell:

I was thinking the same thing! Those are going to be some WICKED peppers!!:hell::lol:

tori;91146][QUOTE=rabbit said:
I don't know how hot it is where you're at,

In Spain and temps are about 32 at the moment (although its been a cooler July than normal and we have had rain this month)
As soon as they go out, the leaves go weak and floppy

Forgive me Tori. We use a different system for temperature over here so I had to look at a conversion chart. I took the time to look though. 32 is basically the equivalent of about 90 over here. That should be perfect weather for pepper plants. It sounds like your plants may have to be slowly hardened off to get used to the direct sunlight. Mine did that too until they hardened off. Now that they are staying in the sun though they just stand tall and proud and grow alot faster in the sun. If they wilt in the sun, I'd bring them back in the shade and after they perk back I'd stick em back out. Pretty much if you gradually work in more and more light a day they'll get used to it. I hope that helped a little.

I was reading somewhere about Red Savinas that said once the weather gets hot and the plant starts to lose more water through transpiration than the roots are taking up, the stomata close down to limit transpiration and this is the cause of wilting...

If this is true, then unless you can increase root water uptake, there is nothing you can do about wilting caused by heat.

My peppers do seem to be pretty hot but I thought it was just the variety of peppers I am growing.

It is all trick in if you hardening the plants wright like everybody else said if they was to long in the shade & never on sun or wind it will take while plants to adjuct to it after that they will be ok, those plant they like full sun exposure like example if you go swimming & water is cold first when you go in is cold then when body adjust it is ok same thing with plants.

Hey i`m like AJ,,I have to water in the am and pm now.We are staying around 94 to 99 here and my plants are very unhappy.Give em a spritz from a sprayer and a gulp of cool water they pert back up.They are in baskets though so don`t know if the roots are able to get over heated that way? Good luck and a good yield. Rich

rainbowberry said:
Even being in England Tori the last few days I've also had to water in the morning and evening.

I can just picture how green and beautiful England is this time of year! I bet your chillies are loving it.

Yes everything is lush and very green what with the warm temperatures we've had along with the rain. The first thing I notice when I come back from abroad is how green England is.

Back