• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My LED Rig....(Update: Info Added)

Ok soooo I just want to show you my toy. I made it just as an experiment and to see where it can get and it can do. Since I saw too much conflicting info on the web, I decided to rig one up. I did some research, saw what stuff I can use, price, materials, etc. So here's the breakdown :

-x10 Royal Blue 3W LED ( 460nm)
-x11 Bright Red 3W LED ( 660nm)
-x4 Deep Red 3W LED ( 630nm)

-x2 4x7 aluminum plates (unknown gauge)
-x2 small heatsink
-x1 CPU fan
-x1 pack of bolts with nuts (m8)
-x1 wing nuts
-x1 LED driver for 10-18 3w LED.
-x3 1.5 grams tube of heatsink paste.

Cost: about $45. How?

-x25 LEDs (all 3 nm's) = $26
-x1 LED driver = $15
- bolts and nuts pack and butterfly nuts = around $3.

Some of the parts I had laying around I just improvised a lil bit ;).

-aluminum plates = I bribed my supervisor to get em (nice talking helps)
-heatsinks = I got from an old big screen TV that was broken. They have circuit board and I got about 4 average size heatsinks before I scraped it.
-CPU fan = My stone age computer.

The CPU fan runs with a Nokia cell phone charger, and I had to buy a 8ft cord to power the driver. That's about it, I might have missed something I'll add and update.

IMG_20121219_200836.jpg

IMG_20121219_200902.jpg

IMG_20121219_200846.jpg

Specs will be posted later today.

IMG_20121219_070341.jpg

lovely piece sir!.

NOT trying to criticize!

but... if you wanted to, you can buy a dimple die and countersink those sheet metal pieces such that you could use counter sunk fastners! it would look a bit better.
maby for version 2.0 eh?

what is that anyway? 12 gauge stainless? looks beef

I like it. especially reusing the heat sinks.
What brand of leds are they?

You will be impressed with the fixture. I am moving to homebuilt LED:
1. can get closer to the plants and thus you have an advantage over the inverse square law.
2. You can have one 50 watt fixture for seedlings and add more as your plant grows. Saves electricity and if better LEDs come out you can get some without completely reinvesting.
3. Alot less heat than anything else.
4. Lasts forever.

Some people will say you can get fruit. There is enough proof by contradiction to show that's not true. Others say that HID is more efficient. Not sure about that. When you consider how HID lights efficiency drops over time and you can get LEDs closer to the plant I think the case can be made for LEDs.

I really like your build! It's very similar to one I put together in December but better built for sure :D

I've spent the past few weeks reading every scientific study I could find on the effects of LEDs on the growth of plants in general and Peppers specifically. It's definitely reaffirmed my choice to use my 45watt DIY LED light this winter but I've made some changes. It looks like it's necessary to supplement the narrow color LED's with something full spectrum. My plan is to add 2 10watt cool white LEDs to my array as well as a couple of 23watt CFL's.

First off,I never thought of adding a heat sink to a sheet the LEDS were mounted on.
I only considered the heat on a sheet with my 1 watt LEDS needed.

I thought my 3 watters got way too hot unless placed FAR apart on a sheet that they would cook.
Less LEDS in less LM.

I got 1 watt ones in as many or higher LM at the time.

I thought a sheet would in the long run be too hot in general for 3 watters.

I have several 3 wat(lower lm.) Leds that I saved for future refference.

I went for Lm. and use 1 watt Leds.
Less miliamps to get higher LM.
Smaller power source to produce more LM AND more wave lengths.

I can place a 80+lm 1 watt one on a sheet WITHOUT cooling about 1 1/2 inch apart with so far a 5+yr life span with no cooling.
It allows me to mix more wave lenghts on my pannels.

I've been in touch with a LOT of Pepper growers over the years, that are finding,since Fluoros in 5000K - 65000k did great.
A LOT are using LED spots with great success-FOR STARTS-not to grow to podding up etc.

Gotta be carefull about the spots you buy-get the high lm. ones.
I think 5000lm ones are the a minimum.
They are probably a lot less-China made-quality control.
BUT I see China as being forced to make better products these days.
They are like Japan was-considered cheap crap when I was a kid...Not anymore.

I never have a Problem with Hong Kong/China stuff.
Used to be long shipping time,wrong stuff etc.
Not lately from the suppliers I use now.
They also will Barter if you want to.

I love LEDS.
IF you use them as what you built and forget the internet compairisons(out of context for the most part).
You'll be happy.
I see LEDS in general as being used ABOUT the same as Fluoros.
BUT they deliver more LM and more SPECIFIC PLANT USABLE wave lengths than other light souces.

I learned long ago that LEDS are a lot different than the popular EXPERTS post as FACT on the net in general.
Most stuff is out of context +/-.

I only know what works for me for MY grow.
The way I need them to do what I need.

I make my own panels and my stuff has nothing to do compared to the commercial stuff.
A whole different thing.BS to sell their product.
Most are miss represented,out of context so called facts.

At least in my opinion.

Looks good. I think I will delve into LEDs this year. I have seen the prices come way down on the individual chips. I'm happy with my t-5 HO fluorescent setup, but would like to get the light closer to the plants with less heat. You have inspired me.

Back