• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests my new high-tech integrtedd stink bug prevention system

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Gonna be a lot of brides looking for party favor bags coming up empty in the coming weeks.

favors1.jpg

favorbag2.jpg

clever, you do what you have to do, to save the pods.

The dog went stupid and started barking and growling and I wondered what the heck was going on, did some break into my yard, nope, out on the deck I go and there were 3 magpies eyeballing my peppers trying to dance their way into my pods. Sparky chased them away and I think even got a reward of a tail feather.

......since, new neighbours started housing stray dogs from around the world and they leave crunchy food dishes around their yard for the dogs, its funny to watch several magpies snacking at a dog's dish of Kibble. 2 pies will land at 1 dish, a dog will chase them away and 2 others will swoop into another dish and feast and this game of hit and run goes on all day - or at least until the food runs out but Spark Spark is on patrol on my side of the fence.

Kind of looks like it could become a big comfortable couch for the stink bugs. I hope the bag is not touching the fruit anywhere. Seems like they might be able to get their tiny little proboscis through the mesh bag. Good luck let us know if it works.

i think i'm stealing that idea! boy am i going to look stupid buying pantyhose at walmart! oh well , not much dignity left these days anyway.

Kind of looks like it could become a big comfortable couch for the stink bugs. I hope the bag is not touching the fruit anywhere. Seems like they might be able to get their tiny little proboscis through the mesh bag. Good luck let us know if it works.

I pondered that. It's possible. But my working theory isn't that the bag will absolutely prevent penetration; it's that the bag will interrupt the algorhythm that says "currently sitting on top of juicy pepper pod; extend proboscis". If the bugs turn out to be more clever than that, there is always Plan B: Soak the party favor bags in some kind of substance that will repel or kill them. I'm hoping to catch a lucky break here and have the bags work without further R&D. I will report back once I get some results in a week or so.

Back