• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My New System; on Loan From Rachapat University, Chombung, Ratchaburi.

Thanks to the generosity of Ajarn Pathara, I just received the system today. It's all ready to go except for a few minor glitches; to wit, my water is PH 7.68 and I don't have any hydrochloric acid. The other minor hassle is my sprouts are in coir plugs and they get way too wet in the constant flow system. So, my sprouts need a more developed root system (they're only 3 days sprouted). Ajarn Pathara will bring the acid and meter on Monday or Tuesday and we'll adjust the PH.
Any and all advice is welcome as I'm a genuine baby newbie at this technology. Here's a picture;

HydroponicSystem.jpg

:cool:

I have zero experience in this type of system but it looks to me like you have a mass of stem far above the medium level.

Mike

Yes, but that seedling wasn't sprouted with the system; it was sprouted in a coir plug. I've got some water issues (PH 7.68). It'll take a bit to sort this out, but we're working on it.

Nice system be careful using acid as it will cause swings and dips in the pH over time. So when you measure your pH measure every hour for 4-6 hours in a row until you get a constant number and even then wait a day and test again.

LGHT said:
Nice system be careful using acid as it will cause swings and dips in the pH over time. So when you measure your pH measure every hour for 4-6 hours in a row until you get a constant number and even then wait a day and test again.

Thanks; that sounds like very good advice.

Its always important to make sure the medium is sprouting well before putting into a system like this. Add water then nutrients to relevant strength. Then check ph and adjust to suit.

If the nutrients are too weak or strong this can cause your ph to go up and down. You need to test both ph and ppm/ tds/ ec.

Can you not get specific ph down there? Do you collect rain water? If so this normally doesn't need ph adjusting.

Chris

Toleman said:
Its always important to make sure the medium is sprouting well before putting into a system like this. Add water then nutrients to relevant strength. Then check ph and adjust to suit.

If the nutrients are too weak or strong this can cause your ph to go up and down. You need to test both ph and ppm/ tds/ ec.

Can you not get specific ph down there? Do you collect rain water? If so this normally doesn't need ph adjusting.

I've been told that rain water here is 4.5. We haven't had any rain for more than 3 months so that's not really an option.
Not sure I understand the high lighted question.

Normal pH down is mostly phosphoric acid but if you don't want the extra phosphorous you can use nitric acid(extra nitrogen)

POTAWIE said:
Normal pH down is mostly phosphoric acid but if you don't want the extra phosphorous you can use nitric acid(extra nitrogen)

Good info and thanks; how about vinegar?

Safe? and organic?

I've used lemon juice before(Citric acid) but I think you're best to get the pH down products which are more stable and more concentrated than 5% vinegar(acetic acid)

LUCKYDOG said:
will coir fall thru the hole and slow the flow or clog the pump?
That is awesome setup though - V cool

Shouldn't be a problem because there aren't holes just slits;

GrowCup.jpg

The pump I'm using does have a filter also. Hmm, looking at the picture there are some gaps in the slits in this cup, but the other cups are just slits.

You should look into some Sure to Grow medium. It doesn't have fibers, doesn't need to be pre-treated, and won't leave any deposits in your system that could clog.

LGHT said:
You should look into some Sure to Grow medium. It doesn't have fibers, doesn't need to be pre-treated, and won't leave any deposits in your system that could clog.

Living in Thailand (and in a rural area) the luxury of choices is sadly lacking. The cost of having products shipped from overseas is prohibitive.
My challenge is to find the things here that will work. I recently discovered that Perlite is available (I've seen bags of it); but the source remains unknown. I'll be looking into a possible source today.

Back