• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My outdoors kitchen

Just wanted to show off my WiP. I am on hold because I am waiting to see if I am on the list to get my house elevated a few feet. Being in Louisiana, my insurance is higher than a giraffes butt, so anything I can do to save $$ is fine by me!

44071D0E-7261-4E4F-B3A9-3C74BDA5CEE9-394-00000072F4805E19_zps3cfc92b1.jpg
2C879024-AC90-406A-8852-6AEB0B306AE3-394-00000072FBA74A9B_zpsb93f1b41.jpg
EA987EDD-2247-42C8-A72E-FCD9CB1CB782-394-00000072FF85ACCC_zps7f343154.jpg

I did everything myself with some help from some friends, the only contractor I used was to tie in the electric and dropping a small box just to use for the outside. Hoping to finish everything before summer

Very nice! Except you shoulda just put a stove where that gas grill is.... same thing ;)

Charcoal, baby!

That gas grill is a "just in case" grill, lol. I have used it twice since buying it in March. Charcoal all the way is right! Natural lump only in my house, lol

you should indeed be proud of that kitchen. very nice job.
what is the counter top? looks like maby concrete?

alot of people just build their outdoor kitchens out of CMU blocking stone and masonry... but you get no storage like you have.. under dem sinks. 

my dad built something like this in the late 70's... tiled counter thin set onto plywood backing...  worst decision ever. the top failed in less than 10 years here in Houston.
other than that... it lasted almost 20 years before being demolished. i think the trim pieces went first... they rotted due to being ontop of the concrete pool deck, and due to humidity i guess.

the trim around the counter peeled off too, same reason i think. 
eventually the t111 panels started looking rotted at the bottom, and its fate was sealed.

it never really looked great tbh... other than like... the 5 years after it was built i guess.
always reseating tiles... renailing trim pieces... painting over mildew crap. part of this was due to where it was located... it got tons of wind drived rain exposure. but most if not all was due to poor building practice imo.

if i had to do it again, i would go with that hardi panel siding and pvc trim pieces that dont shrink and expand like wood...

Counters are made of sandstone. All of the framing is done with PT pine and encased in fireproof hardeeboard. I used cedar all the way around, teh color is fantastic. The ledges are made from 2x12 boards, I plan on staining them a much darker color than the clear I want on the cedar. 

thats cedar? very cool.  i know they used to side houses with cedar... maby they still do? so its got to last a while i imagine. 
i KNOW they dont still roof with cedar shakes... they were an insanely big fire hazard.

i noticed the can lights and romex above... what are you planning on using for the paneling on the ceiling? 

oh i got to ask, what do you mean by your home is on a list for being raised if you dont mind me asking...  is there some sort of program for raising homes in floodplains or w/e? 
im assuming your home is pier and beam?

Its on a slab, but there is a program to raise houses in bad flood zones. My house has gotten about 2 ft of water 3 times over the last 15 years. I have not gotten an inch since I bought it a year after Katrina though. Its cheaper for the insurance companies to make the payout to raise them than to keep paying the losses. Fine with me, I HATE doing sheetrock work!

I have not decided on what I am using on the ceiling yet. Really no point till I know if they are going to raise the house or not, and if they will be raising the kitchen. I attached the slab to the house so its going to be a big job either way. 

I like it, especially for a home owner project. Kick-ass hang out spot! It still needs some trim (I am a master of the obvious LOL) but you are aren't quite finished yet. The only thing that would drive me friggen nuts is not having toe kicks. That bottom board will get all kinds of scuff marks and would bug me to no end from constantly kicking the cabinet when you just want to rinse your hands.

I agree with the toe board trim, I have no idea what I am doing, so that got over looked. If I ever go with another design, I will have them for sure.

Funny that you mentioned the grill, thats going on the wall that you cant see. I saw them at academy for under $300, and thats a must have item. I also have crawfish pots, turkey burners and all, they just sit in storage most of teh time though

Tim Vader said:
Its on a slab, but there is a program to raise houses in bad flood zones. My house has gotten about 2 ft of water 3 times over the last 15 years. I have not gotten an inch since I bought it a year after Katrina though. Its cheaper for the insurance companies to make the payout to raise them than to keep paying the losses. Fine with me, I HATE doing sheetrock work!

I have not decided on what I am using on the ceiling yet. Really no point till I know if they are going to raise the house or not, and if they will be raising the kitchen. I attached the slab to the house so its going to be a big job either way. 
how on earth do you raise a slab on grade home with a BRICK veneer siding? god i cant even imagine.  ive seen people raise pier and beam houses in like a weekend... never a slab on grade tho...
surly they dont raise the entire slab?

also i hear you on the sheet rock. im just so terrible at sheet rock... i once tried to patch a hole i made in the ceiling... removing some damage done by a cloged ac condensate drain. 
i ended up hulk smashing the drywall patch i spent like an hour on.... the celing joists were not 100% parallel... so i keep trial and erroring the patch until i ruined it, hence the juvenile tantrum.

Veneer, lol. Thats solid brick!

They dig out from under the entire house then place some I-beams under it and raise it with hydraulics. Other than the terrible looking driveway, it looks pretty good. I think my house will look great with the extended porch out front (I can put a very nice stairway) and this patio out back. I have been getting serious into DIY projects (thanks TV!!) and want to really get this yard decked out before the summer. I am just waiting to see whats happening with this raising because I might have to tear part of the kitchen down to get it done. Small potatoes compared to the $160k estimate of getting the house lifted, but its still a pain on my end. 

Brick veneer is the term for brick "siding" when placed on the exterior of a standard framed wall. If you have a solid brick wall (with no standard framing) you will have exposed brick on the interior and exterior of the walls.

Ah, gotcha. I was looking to buy actual brick veneer for a wall in my house once, so it threw me off. I have never heard it used like that before

Back