• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering My overwintering attempt

Since I live in Zone 6, I need to do what I can to squeeze the most out of my growing season. So, I'm going to try and overwinter some plants. If this works out well, I will be overwintering a lot of plants next year. Now that it is far to late to go back, I have a few questions but, before I got to them, please look at this picture and someone give me a warm fuzzy by reassuring me that I did not cut to much off and kill the plant. Thanks.

haircutn.jpg

If I did not kill them outright, I am planning on keeping these plants as dormant as possible. In this picture are:

Hungarian Hot Wax
Black Hungarian
Lemon Yellow Habenero
White Habenero
Chocolate Habenero
Poblano
Bhut Jolokia

Ok, a few questions:

1) While cutting these plants back, I found some aphids. Before putting them in their storage area I blasted the stems with some water. Should that take care of the aphids or should I go back and spray them with something? I have organic aphid spray, if needed.

2) Do the aphids live in the soil? I plan on repotting all of these come spring, but I don't want the aphids to come back while the plants are sleeping.

3) Since I want to keep these plants dormant, what should I do, if anything, if the plant begins to sprout in, say, mid February? Should I clip the new growth or let it be?

4) True or False: I have read, maybe on this forum, that pepper plants that survive the overwintering are far more productive in the second year. Any truth to that?

And, just because I really like this plant, here is my Dorset Naga, before and after it's haircut:
dorsetnagabefore.jpg

dorsetnagaafter.jpg

They look great right now. Capsicum species don't technically go dormant, but you can slow down their growth during overwinter enough. You'll need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too dry, freeze or have excessive aphids, spider mites etc., you'll need to manage all of these factors. My first overwinter was last year, I had two plants, one got its butt kicked by aphids and spider mites, it was unreal, only one plant survived.

Thanks Spicegeist. I'll keep a good eye on 'em. I have good indoor storage for them, not to hot, not to cold, and a few florescent lights on a timer.

I agree with the others, Just keep an eye on em. wintering can be tricky at first. It doesnt look like you cut too much off of em. They look fine to me.

Keep the spray on hand. If they have no leaves all winter there will nothing for the aphids to eat. But light and water will mean leaves.
I don't honestly know where the aphid eggs are. But they like to feed on new growth I believe.
I'd say personal preferance when it come to trimming it back or not. New early shoots means less time before floweing and peppers no?
I'd say true on the last one. I have one that I overwintered. First season no peppers. This season 20 to 50. Let's see what next year brings
Hope that helps.
And please someone correct me if I'm wrong up there. Otherwise I may never know.

socapots, if my plants survive the winter I'll let you know how well next summers production works out.

Hate to post twice, as I just posted this for someone else, but here's your comfort:
peno220110105.JPG

That was after it's first season. It's now seen three seasons.

It took over a month, but you can just make out the new leaves starting from the upper-left growth node. Patience is a MUST!

Oh yes - where are aphid eggs, or the adult aphids? Could be in the dirt. I repot mine as part of the overwintering process. Since I'm going to cut the roots as well as prune the branches so there are no leaves, I remove as much dirt as possible before cutting the roots, give them a good washing, and then repot with fresh soil. This helps, but sorry, it won't necessarily eliminate all of them. No, aphids are resourceful. Not only will they bury themselves and even eggs in the dirt, but they will bury eggs inside the stems of your plants. So be prepared. Either put in an order for ladybugs as soon as leaves start showing up, or have insecticidal soap ready for combat. If you go the insecticidal soap route (it will kill ladybugs, so don't do both), spray EVERY DAY once the aphids show up, then keep spraying for quite a while after you think they're gone. Their lifecycle is rather maddening, but you CAN overcome them if you're diligent.

Back