food My OWN Deer Jerky

I have made deer jerky several times but I am finally able to make some with my OWN deer. After several years of hunting (since I was 10), last year I finally shot my first deer! :dance:

deerphoto.png

(don't mind the hair - I was hunting!!) :)

I am not a cook who measures a lot of the ingredients so I will just list the items I used to make my batch.
Worcestershire Sauce, Soy sauce, Black Mamba (CaJohns), fresh garlic, fresh ground pepper, Habaneros, Serranos,and a little brown sugar.

100_9302.jpg

I cut up the deer and stirred all the ingredients together.

100_9309.jpg

Placed in the fridge for several hours and then put on the dehydrator.

100_9310.jpg

Finished product was good. Next time I will up the amount of Black Mamba.

100_9313.jpg

:woohoo:

Has anyone else ever used Black Mamba with jerky?

God bless you, McHottie!! :clap:

Nope...never tried Black Mamba in jerky. I have two bottles in my collection, but they're signed by Cajohn himself and probably won't be opening them.

I usually use the dried powders.....habanero, fatalii, 7-pod.....cause they stick really well to the post-marinaded, pre-dried strips, and make for a brutal final product.

...plus it keeps my twins from eating it all! :rofl:

Ya can't go wrong with whole muscle jerky! I can't stand that pureed crap. Are you poor guys in Ohio forced to use slug guns for deer season?

You gotta come out east and teach my wife a thing or two ;)

either a slug or an arrow :)
black powder to..but still a slug

...but black powder is SO much more fun than a shotgun. And the new in-lines are awesome. Drive nails at 100 yds with the right setup. Tough to do with a shotgun, even with rifled slugs.

By the way, please send a PM for my address if you need to unload some of that jerky. :D

Congrats on your first deer. :dance: You have some delicious eats to look forward to.

Wow..that jerky looks great.
How long in the dehydrator?(and approx.temp)

CM,

I have just a plain run of the mill Oster dehydrator, one on/off button, so I cannot tell the exact temp. Call it living dangerously. :)

I left the jerky on approx. 7 hours. The time of course could be plus or minus, depending on the thickness of the meat.

Congratulations on your first deer and jerky! That looks unbelievably wonderful. Great pics too. I am a big fan of the muzzleloader myself.
icon_smile.gif

CM,

I have just a plain run of the mill Oster dehydrator, one on/off button, so I cannot tell the exact temp. Call it living dangerously. :)

I left the jerky on approx. 7 hours. The time of course could be plus or minus, depending on the thickness of the meat.

Thanks mmcdermott1_thehothalf
I have a cheapie(Ronco I believe)that I got as a gift.
Never could find any info anywhere or on-line about the temp rating.
But I stuck a meat thermometer through the top vent, and got a reading of 145 degrees.
Don't know how accurate it is though.
I think I'm gonna try making some jerky with a slightly smoked flank steak...and plan for around 7 hours in the dehydrator.
...PS congrats on your first deer

Back