My peppers have big roots but wont grow

It has been almost three months and I just moved my peppers into the garden from red cups.  Almost all off them had roots to the bottom of the cup, a few filled the cup. But on top they are teeny little peppers. A lot their new leaves are yellow. I even put them in Fox Farm soil I don't know what is up.

They have been around this size since I took them out of the tray in march 
V8Sgj16.png

Looks like iron deficiency on the top and bottom one.

What are the temps like there? Three months and theyre still that small?

We need to know a few things.

What kind of fertilizer, if any did you use?

Any idea of the soil PH or water PH?

They are stunted because they are lacking something, Im guessing Nitrogen. It could be they are locking up and not taking in nutrients do to soil PH or salt content.

Or your soil could be low on nutrients. That's why we need to know as much as possible before we can give you advice.

How much water you give them?
How much fertilizer?
What kind of fertilizer?
What kind of seed starting mix?
Any Idea of tap water PH in your area?

Cayennemist said:
We need to know a few things.

What kind of fertilizer, if any did you use?

Any idea of the soil PH or water PH?

They are stunted because they are lacking something, Im guessing Nitrogen. It could be they are locking up and not taking in nutrients do to soil PH or salt content.

Or your soil could be low on nutrients. That's why we need to know as much as possible before we can give you advice.
Fox Farm Ocean Something soil

Dilluted 6-4-6 Tomato fertilizer

I will go try to test Ph

Its been in the 60s to 80s, but mid 90's by this week

mx5inpa said:
If it was nitrogen theyd yellow from the bottom up.
True.

Maybe over watering as well.

adnewr said:
Fox Farm Ocean Something soil

Dilluted 6-4-6 Tomato fertilizer

I will go try to test Ph

Its been in the 60s to 80s, but mid 90's by this week
"Dilluted 6-4-6 Tomato fertilizer"

may be salt based.

I take it you live in SoCal, same Temps here in SD.
Let them dry out a little then flood them good to flush any salts. Stay away from Salt based Fertilizers, they do as much harm as they do good.

Iron is abundant in your soil, I'm thinking your plants are locking it out to protect from salt or PH.  Get some good micro organisms in there to break stuff down so it is easy for the plants to absorb.

Compost Tea
Organic fertilizers
Manures
Soil from Old growth ares
Worm castings
Compost

Cayennemist said:
True.

Maybe over watering as well.

"Dilluted 6-4-6 Tomato fertilizer"

may be salt based.

I take it you live in SoCal, same Temps here in SD.
Let them dry out a little then flood them good to flush any salts. Stay away from Salt based Fertilizers, they do as much harm as they do good.

Iron is abundant in your soil, I'm thinking your plants are locking it out to protect from salt or PH.  Get some good micro organisms in there to break stuff down so it is easy for the plants to absorb.

Compost Tea
Organic fertilizers
Manures
Soil from Old growth ares
Worm castings
Compost
It poured rain the other day (norcal) so I think that would have flushed out the salt. Would putting compost/Manure/castings on top of the dirt and mixing it in a bit get the nutrients to the plant well?

If you really just moved them to the garden, I'd bet the problem is overwatering and nothing more. Overwatering will cause the leaves and even stems to turn yellow, and will slow growth. It's too easy to overwater young ones - just make sure you let the leaves droop a tad between waterings, and they'll probably start putting out dark green growth in a short time. 

geeme said:
If you really just moved them to the garden, I'd bet the problem is overwatering and nothing more. Overwatering will cause the leaves and even stems to turn yellow, and will slow growth. It's too easy to overwater young ones - just make sure you let the leaves droop a tad between waterings, and they'll probably start putting out dark green growth in a short time. 

What if I were to tell you the ideal time to water is when the leaves actually point up for a bit?

adnewr said:
It poured rain the other day (norcal) so I think that would have flushed out the salt. Would putting compost/Manure/castings on top of the dirt and mixing it in a bit get the nutrients to the plant well?
Yes,

^^^^ This ^^^^

Starting to sound like a bit of over watering. They look it to in the picture. Id just let them dry out until the soil is dry to 1" from the top. like so:
dirt_zps7f46332d.png

Then water in some compost juice. Wait until soil is dry all over again. Continue as necessary.

mx5inpa said:
What if I were to tell you the ideal time to water is when the leaves actually point up for a bit?

People who are new to growing need to learn their plants' bigger signs before they know how to look for the more nuanced ones. Start with leaves drooping then, over time, get to a point where familiarity eradicates the need for drooping. No one ties their shoelaces perfectly the first time. 

When ever I transplant from one pot to another I give my plants Vitamin B-1. This helps with plant stress. I also use it when the plant is having stress issues, too hot, too cold, etc. It is like Valium for the plant.

Back