• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My peppers

Hi guys, first off I would like to introduce myself. I'm Gil, ive been a big fan of spice foods. Ive been making jerky and smoking/BBQ for years but have recently got into I got into more south american and Japanese cooking. I love most things that come from the sea and a self proclaimed ceviche addict. I'm also a huge fan a fresh uncooked salsa. Recently i have been messing around with pickling and THP has been a life saver.  

Acouple months ago i purchased acouple chilli seedlings, an aji limon, criolla sella, and a Carolina reaper. I would love to add acouple more chillis to my collection and am up for recommendations. Im looking for peppers for the following categories:

Tasty but hot, i really like a short sharp burn
scorpion maybe?

Pepper for sauces
Bahamian goat, and probably red habanero  

Hot with thick wall for pickling
??

Good pepper for poppers (not too hot, but hotter the jalapeños)
??

thanks, gil

Welcome to THP.

Gilthefish said:
Hi guys, first off I would like to introduce myself. I'm Gil, ive been a big fan of spice foods. Ive been making jerky and smoking/BBQ for years but have recently got into I got into more south american and Japanese cooking. I love most things that come from the sea and a self proclaimed ceviche addict. I'm also a huge fan a fresh uncooked salsa. Recently i have been messing around with pickling and THP has been a life saver.  

Acouple months ago i purchased acouple chilli seedlings, an aji limon, criolla sella, and a Carolina reaper. I would love to add acouple more chillis to my collection and am up for recommendations. Im looking for peppers for the following categories:

Good pepper for poppers (not too hot, but hotter the jalapeños)
??

thanks, gil

I have not grown it  yet but the "hot Tomato" or "Stuffing Scotch Bonnet" on Pepperlover.com might be the right one.  I've got both of those transplanted yesterday into 5 gal pots yesterday.  I suspect they would make good choices.

I wouldnt put scorpion in the tasty catagory. Its like spraying burning perfume into your mouth. Hot for sure, but tasty it is not

Tasty and hot - Red Savina Habanero

Sauce - various Habanero

Popper - Jalapeno

LordHill said:
I wouldnt put scorpion in the tasty catagory. Its like spraying burning perfume into your mouth. Hot for sure, but tasty it is not

To me it's like a more concentrated Habanero. Far more heat and a good deal more flavour but still just as harsh and abrasive tasting, if not more so.
I'm sure some people could get behind that but I'd much prefer a Reaper or Bhut if I was going for a flavourful superhot. Sadly, I don't have enough experience with homegrown varieties to advise further but I hear great things about the Caramel Bhut.

spicefreak said:

To me it's like a more concentrated Habanero. Far more heat and a good deal more flavour but still just as harsh and abrasive tasting, if not more so.
I'm sure some people could get behind that but I'd much prefer a Reaper or Bhut if I was going for a flavourful superhot. Sadly, I don't have enough experience with homegrown varieties to advise further but I hear great things about the Caramel Bhut.
I didn't get that at all.. just wasnt a good flavor in my opinion.. I wont bother growing them again, but thats the beauty of peppers. Somethin for all of us

Yep, far more flavours out there than a mere "chilli" on an ingredients list would ever suggest. Good luck in the rest of your growing and tasting.

I am very new to peppers also.  Trying to grow my first ones this year, I bought some MoA Scotch Bonnet seeds from Juanitos.  Late last year I also bought a box of assorted peppers from Wicked Mike as he was suggested by some of the forum members.  He grows in Florida and has peppers year round I believe.  Send him a message, probably through Facebook is fastest and he will sell you a box and tell him what kind of flavors you are looking for and he will use his experience to send you a variety of stuff to try.  Save seeds from the ones he send you or note it and buy seeds next year. 

Hope this helps some =)

Back