• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics My plants leaves are starting wilt and whiten? PICS

Hello there people,

Well some days ago I transplanted my plants into bigger cups and put the outside they get like 5 hours of direct sunlight during the morning hours. Before that I was keeping them inside under lights had zero problems with them. I watered them down after transplant and that was 4 days ago and weather hasnt been to hot and we had shover just yesterday so pots do look wet maybe thats the problem?

Here are the pictures

hKi2RcC.jpg

OHQ7IEA.jpg

Gv3GZPq.jpg

potato quality can I know I know :(

Anyway any idea whats wrong and how do I go and fix it, before it gets worse?

The problem is that you did not properly harden them off. Hardening off is the process of gradually exposing them to outdoor elements, including sun and wind. 5 hours is too much for their first excursions outside. I won't even put my plants out for a full hour the first day if we have full sun - lights are nowhere near as intense as the sun is. Also, if you didn't have a fan on them before now, the wind can be problems, too.

How long the hardening off process takes depends on your local conditions. A good general process goes something like 1 hour unprotected (again, full vs. partial cloudy. Could be longer if very cloudy) the first few days, increase by an hour after they seem to tolerate that and maintain 2 hours for several days. Keep increasing gradually, but know that after they reach about 8 hours a day, you can likely keep them outside 100% of the time.

They got sunburn from being put outside in too much direct sun before being hardened off. 
     The white leaves will probably fall off and the plant's growth rate will slow considerably, but all new growth from here on out should be sufficiently hardened.
     I would recommend you still attempt to harden them off - so conditions don't worsen. Just give them 30min to an hour of exposure (cloudy days are best for the start) for the first few days. Then gradually increase exposure as your plants prove they can withstand it. I have been doing this with my plants and now they can tolerate sitting outside in full sun almost all day (as long is the wind ins't too crazy).
      Good luck!

Well they were getting 16h of light on the timer before but cant compare to sun, the new place is getting sun from 6am to 11.30 am. Its on my balcony. I will try to shade them off and see how it goes. And on touch they are so squshy now considering the firm texture they had while were indoors.

I think I will loose some of the plants tho :( few look like they will not come back from it

There are 100+ cups so I will find a way to shade them, probably will get shade cloth because I dont think its possible for me to get them to gradualy introduce them more and more to the elements day by day.

parker49 Master Shake in da house :D

Chilima said:
Well they were getting 16h of light on the timer before

That's like saying I've been playing hockey sack for 16 hours a day to train for a marathon.
     Apples and oranges...

Chilima said:

I think I will loose some of the plants tho :( few look like they will not come back from it

Don't count them out yet. As long as their roots are OK, they should still have energy to flush a new set of leaves. But, as stated above, growth will slow considerably. Just keep them under like 70% shade for all but an hour a day for a while and check to see what starts growing back at the nodes.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

That's like saying I've been playing hockey sack for 16 hours a day to train for a marathon.
     Apples and oranges...

Well they were getting 16h of light on the timer before but cant compare to sun,

You zapped that line on purpose! :P

But yeah I see what you getting at. First thing in the morning is shade cloth!

Just keep in mind that allowing leaves to build up a tolerance to UV isn't the only benefit to hardening. Leaves need to grow a cuticle to protect the plant from variable humidity and drying winds. Also plant stems need time to lignify so they can can stand up to wind gusts and not just do a faceplant into the dirt during their first storm. Among others...

Chilima said:

You zapped that line on purpose! :P

Sorry! I didn't mean to be a dick.  ;)      

This time!  :clap:

I just wasn't sure you got it. 

I burned some of mine as well. I had forgotten that I hadn't take a couple of trays out yet and had them out all weekend lol. The new leaves were all white. They're starting to pop back now. They were about the same size as yours are. Just take it easy on them. I'm nursing mine back to health before I plant them out.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Sorry! I didn't mean to be a dick.  ;)      

This time!  :clap:

I just wasn't sure you got it. 
i'll leave that alone !        :onfire:

Back