My sales thread

I'll probably end up with egg on my face for starting this, but if I'm going to put in 10 hours a week (with more to come) taking care of my 1,000 plants, I might as well share my experiences - good or bad.

Last week in my paper I advertised some tomato plants for sale. Remember, this is southern OH and frost free is two months away. But I took the angle that these are cool weather plants that mature in less than 70 days and can be grown in a container, meaning it can be brought inside if the weather gets frigid (averages are High: 58°F, Low: 37°F) or covered if only a killing frost is forecast. I call them (Siletz is their real name) Flag Day tomatoes as they should be ripe by then.

I had 18 plants that are nice size (a foot or so tall, four or more sets of leaves) that I wanted to sell this week. As of today, only 12 have been taken which is a little disappointing, except: the dodo birds at the post office didn't deliver my paper until at least today. I really believe had everyone received the paper Wednesday or Thursday, I would have sold out this week. I have another 50 or so in the pipeline - should have about 17 per week.

Mike

I plan on it. If I have to run the heaters 24/7 (but do not need to also supplement with kerosene or propane) it will cost $20/wk.

One reason I want to try the Siletz and Legend is they were bred for the Pacific Northwest where the temps are cooler and there is not as much sunshine as the rest of the country. Some of the others I found while searching for Greenhouse tomatoes. No one is going to buy a IT-06-313 tomato plant but the only thing restaurants care about is the taste and price.

I'm sure I'll never get anywhere the size of Eurofresh (or even 1/100th their size) but I wouldn't mind some day owning a GH that covered an acre!

Mike

Back