• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My second season

Still waiting for the toms in the garden to ripen, which may be another week to ten days at best. But my goal is to not run out of maters for the next 12 months, so I'm starting a second crop.

My first two plants are a Siletz and Legend, both early varieties that are self-pollinating, cool season plants. It's suppose to take 55-75 days after planting to get ripe fruit, but IME it takes the longer amount. Plus, the seedlings are not near as old as they would be if I was going to transplant them into the garden.

The plan is to start about 14 plants, eight each of the two above plus one each of the other types and have them ready by the middle of August. Each week, add two plants until I reach 40 or run out of room - whichever comes first. That will take 13 weeks by which time (nearly 20 weeks from now) the ones I'm starting now should be about done for the season.

Repeat the process until April then quit replacing them as they reach the end of their life, which should be August. By then, I'll have garden ripe ones to use.

Mike

Potawie,

For about 10 seconds! Seriously, I've had worse luck cloning than I did trying to germinate in rock wool last winter, and my success then was about 1/2 of one percent.

But, I have an unused aeroponic cloner, rooting gel, recommended ferts - at the worst I guess I would waste some time and water.

Mike

Tomatoes are so easy to take cuttings from. I just put the branch in straight water away from bright lights and in about 4-14 days I always see lot of roots. No rooting gel, no humidity dome, just a deep container of water.
Definitely a lot easier than pepper cuttings from my experience.

Yup, agree with Potawie on this one. I did a late crop of a few varieties I liked last year this way. Rooted a few suckers I'd let get larger than I'd usually like to by putting them in a glass of water. Once the roots looked developed enough, into 3" containers kept moderately moist, and a few weeks later they went into the ground. Have you tried this with maters Mike?

5 Star,

Sort of. This spring, most of my plants got way too big, so I cut the top off them, left only a couple of very small leaves and stuck them in potting mix which was extremely moist. Didn't put them under lights for three days. In the end, I'm guessing maybe 10 percent survived. Didn't try water.

OK, I'm more than willing to try this - for one thing if it works I can take suckers from the very best plants and use those. Now don't laugh but when we suckered tobacco, and I suckered tens of thousands of plants over the years, we broke them off at the stalk. Is that the best way to get them for cloning?

Mike

Just a note:

I'm trying to be AJ-esque (if that is a word) and keep detailed info about all the plants. When they are sowed, sprout, moved to water, solution used (I plan on trying different ones), Days until I pick the first ripe fruit, total pounds harvested and date of death - for each plant.

There is at least one variable I cannot control for the time being - the amount of air delivered to the DWC buckets via air pumps. I'm treating the plants as seedlings now, but once they get taller than the top of the bucket they are in, I plan on using this pump, one for every 14-15 plants.

Mike

It rained - all day long, a rain I really didn't need since we had more than 1/4 inch Monday. But since I had nothing to do, a moved some seedlings into a hydro unit and sowed 18 seeds.

In Buckets:
3 Legend
2 Siletz
2 IT-06-313
2 Sacramento
1 Cabernet
1 Mira

Growing in 3" pots until they are big enough to transplant:
The above plus Prairie Fire and Florida 91

Stuck in rockwool today - three each:
Cabernet
Mira
Sacramento
Siletz
Legend
IT-06-313

Alas and alack - I am out of room, at least as far as more hydro units go. My GH is still at least three weeks from even having a top on it, let alone all the sides. But I need at least 28 plants growing outside by August. I'm thinking of just going outdoor hydro. I bit more work keeping the pH and nuit levels correct, especially if it keeps raining. But it will be easier on the utility bill.

Mike

Back