• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My Sickly Seedlings...photos

Well, here's a few photos of some seedlings with upward leaf curl, leaf yellowing, and one seedling with downward leaf curl. Internet searches suggest excessive watering, and/or excessive fertilization. There has also been a small amount of leaf drop. I hope I don't get 20 different diagnoses...What do you folks think?
photobucket-55478-1361912417240_zps080259e3.jpg

photobucket-65701-1361912395468_zps737edf6e.jpg

photobucket-24015-1361912444023_zps750b0490.jpg

photobucket-18263-1361912463636_zps022f8610.jpg

photobucket-27458-1361912479195_zpsb29b393b.jpg

photobucket-32527-1361912498147_zpse4462875.jpg

the pepper in the "Leopard" cup, whats the full name of that pepper?

upward leaf curl for me has been due to irregular watering (over usually), and to much fertilizer.

+1 On the overwatering. As with my experience over fertilizing usually effects the newer growth first then the older leaves. Where as over watering effects the lower leaves up. An pic 1&2 looks like the bottom leafs been scorched (burnt tip)

I think everyone hit the nail on the head. OVERWATERING I've been guilty of the same thing, with the same results. Cut back on watering.

I stopped wick watering and went to letting the soil dry out before watering again. Just watch for leaf wilting to tell you it's too little water.

Interested in the "Leopard" also, do you have any seeds to trade? PM me for a list of what I can offer in trade, I have some nice Peppadew seeds. Thanks, Curt

Thanks for the help. Less water it willbe. The seedling you mentioned is a Pimenta Leopard. It's a bhut cross of some sort. I'll see what seeds I have when I get home tonight.

Did you start your seeds in those cups or did you transplant the seedlings into them....via "peat pellets"

When being a new grower, it's hard to judge when solo cups need water. They are so deep, they can hold water for a while. Best advice I've ever been given is to dig around the edge about an inch deep. To see if it's still damp. Or run a wooden skweewer down in the cup. An let it sit a minute or two. Then pull out to see if there's still moisture deeper down. You can also add some slits from the bottom to about a 1/4 up the cup (on the sides) So the bottom actually dries out. An doesn't always just stay soaking.

I'm using 3 1/2" square pots this year. An it is normally taking 7-10 days for the soil to dry out. To where they need water again. Also keep a check on the temps around the cups. As I noticed earlier some look like they are scorching. So add a fan to help with high temps. An to help keep the tops of cups dry and to stiffen up their stems. Everything should work on fine with them if you back off the watering. Peppers are resilent. Just don't over baby from here on out. "I know easier said then done"

I too was thinking overwatering. I don't see drainage holes on your cups. Snip the bottom corner edges with scissors. It will allow a bit more drainage than just poking holes in the bottom alone. If you stick your finger in your soil and it isnt totally dry, do not water them. The fan suggestion is a great idea. It will prevent molds and dry the soil faster until you get the feel for when and how much to water. Keep us posted on your progress. That black pepper does look interesting, is it an ornamental?

This may be an odd question but since I can't see any, are there plenty of holes in the bottoms of those cups?

Big Mike

This may be an odd question but since I can't see any, are there plenty of holes in the bottoms of those cups?

Big Mike

You too, having issues seeing pics? Just making sure I ain't the only one. As I have to switch threw three different browsers just to see them.

That's what some around here do. But did you make sure to take the fabric off the peat pellets before transplanting? Pic 1 maybe on to something. If not they could be water logged in their pellet and getting root bound. As looking at your pics again looks like the peat was soaked but nothing else. I have learned unless what ever soil you buy comes moistened. You have to pre-moisten it, for it to hold moisture right. A lot of soils become Hydrophobic once they get to dry. Have learnt this myself this year. After letting my pots get to dry. It takes a lot longer for water to wick up. Especially in peat based soils. This is where I'm starting to think watering from the bottom is better. As you can't water a soil of that base from top. Or it'll just roll off and not absorb.

i placed my pepper plants, started in jiffy peat pellets, into solo cups. Is this not recommended?

That can be done, peat is highly acidic and water retaining., If you placed the jiffy plug back into a "soiless mix" which, then again is consistant of peat that may be the issue with the water retention if over watering.
Your plants are on their 4th set of leaves and appear to be in need of supplemental food. A well balanced Organic or whats available to you that has an even balance of N.P.K. will do the trick. If you intend to plant outdoors in the ground, I would repot in a lightweight potting soil. Fox Farms products are pretty good, but there are others. Going from a "soiless mix" to the "dirt" outdoors can be a shock to the plant, unless you mix the two mediums together.

Sorry for the rant. ....there are alot of varibles with the indoor grow, humidity, temperature, air flow also play big factors.

Your plants will be fine, back off of the water, foliar feed with Epsom Salts (1tsp diluted with water in a qt misting bottle) and same with Fish Emulsion....for starters.
That should do the trick.
Good luck with the process,

Greg

That can be done, peat is highly acidic and water retaining., If you placed the jiffy plug back into a "soiless mix" which, then again is consistant of peat that may be the issue with the water retention if over watering.
Your plants are on their 4th set of leaves and appear to be in need of supplemental food. A well balanced Organic or whats available to you that has an even balance of N.P.K. will do the trick. If you intend to plant outdoors in the ground, I would repot in a lightweight potting soil. Fox Farms products are pretty good, but there are others. Going from a "soiless mix" to the "dirt" outdoors can be a shock to the plant, unless you mix the two mediums together.

Sorry for the rant. ....there are alot of varibles with the indoor grow, humidity, temperature, air flow also play big factors.

Your plants will be fine, back off of the water, foliar feed with Epsom Salts (1tsp diluted with water in a qt misting bottle) and same with Fish Emulsion....for starters.
That should do the trick.
Good luck with the process,

Greg

would you recommend salt one week and fish the next? alternating every feeding week to week?

You too, having issues seeing pics? Just making sure I ain't the only one. As I have to switch threw three different browsers just to see them.

I can't see them on Firefox, but only while I'm at work. At home I see them just fine. On IE, I can see them at work. Weird....

would you recommend salt one week and fish the next? alternating every feeding week to week?

Sure you can do that...

I stagger the schedule, once a week for each. Foliar feed with the fish, 4 days later feed with the epsom salts,4 more days back to the fish and so on....

Keep the solutions diluted ....if directions say a capful, I'll use 1/2 cap or less. You can't burn the plants that way......but you can fire up the growth...

Greg

Back