• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My squash has turned brown on the tip of the leaves

[background=rgb(241, 246, 220)]Hi everyone I hope someone can help me fix a little problem I am having. Some of the tip of the leaves have started turning brown. I am growing the squash in a small pot. I don't believe watering is the problem because I only water the plant when I feel the soil dry when I put my finger an inch deep into the soil. I am using Miracle Grow Organic Choice as my soil. The plant is about 3 weeks old now. I am new to growing. This is my first time ever growing anything. I hope someone can help. Thank you.[/background]​
[background=rgb(241, 246, 220)]Picture of my plant:
http://i.imgur.com/49L9K3Z.jpg[/background]​

The true leaves all look fine to me, unless I am missing something. I wouldn't worry too much about the cotyledons shriveling up, they are only needed until the first true leaves unfurl, then they usually get dumped by the plant.

You are probably going to want a much bigger pot, or plant in the ground. Squash tends to make a BIG plant.

Thank you everyone. I really have no idea what I am going to do with the squash when it gets bigger. I decided to plant them just for fun. Do they survive in the shade where the sun barely hits? Because if so then I believe I know where I could plant them.

No, squash needs sun. light shade is ok, but full shade no way. Many squash varieties climb like vines. Last year we had a chinese squash gourd 20' up a tree that we never could reach.

Not every squash gets huge though. 'Black Magic' zucchini is only 3-4' across and 2' tall full grown. I say grow it and see what happens!

I'm seeing at least six seedlings there. Part of the issue could well be competition. I'd suggest thinning it back to the strongest one, and I think you'll see better growth.

Back