• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My tomatoes in containers....

Planted 4 varieties of tomatoes this year in containers.

Cherokee Purple (local source seedling) - 24 inch container
Black Krim (burpee seedling) - 20 inch container
Red Pear (from seed, free gift with other online seeds) - 20 inch container
sweet 100 cherry (from seed) - 20 inch container

I also have a red potato leaf brandywine on the way from cross country nursery, not sure if I will do a 24 inch or 20 inch pot for him. All are potted in miracle gro (sue me, short on cash) with tomato magic sprinkled at their roots, with saucers under the containers and tomato cages. I gave them all a companion basil plant to see if they really will help repel some of the pests. The cherokee purple also has some chives around it. Anyways, the Black Krim is by far growing the best. It has doubled in size within 2 weeks. I read that they will only get to be 4 feet tall, so hopefully that will hold true and won't have to pot him up to a 24 inch container. I plan on mulching them with straw once they reach two feet.

I'll keep posting updates, and if anyone sees anything I am doing wrong or wants to add input feel free. I'll get some picks soon.

I use MG in my self-watering tomatoe containers... works great for me :dance:

What size containers do you grow in and what do you recommend for the Potato Leaf Brandywine? I have read where it will more than likely reach 6 feet, so I was planning on going with the 24 inch container, unless you think it could be pulled off in a 20 inch container. The containers are the resin ones from home depot that look like traditional clay pots, and any effort to find an accurate description of that their gallon capacity has failed.

I use these... Garden Patch

Clean, neat and more importantly Wifee approved :rofl:

37 quart= 9.25 gallon soil not sure what that equates too in inches for container size.

2 large tomatoe ie... cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, porterhouse grow well and produce plenty of tomatoes.

Not familiar with the potato leaf brandywine...

edit; going to try and grow peppers in these this year... 4 Biker Billys Jalapenos

I use these... Garden Patch

Clean, neat and more importantly Wifee approved :rofl:

37 quart= 9.25 gallon soil not sure what that equates too in inches for container size.

2 large tomatoe ie... cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, porterhouse grow well and produce plenty of tomatoes.

Not familiar with the potato leaf brandywine...

edit; going to try and grow peppers in these this year... 4 Biker Billys Jalapenos

Good. I know the 20 inch is at least 10 gallons just from eye balling it. The 24 inch is at least 15. Maybe overkill, but after my better boy fried in a 16 inch pot last summer I'd rather go with overkill

brandywines are not really suited for containers, but if Alpha can grow Mortgage Lifters in containers then I dont see why brandywines wouldnt grow in the same setup. I grow brandywines but Ive always done them in the ground.

Back