• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Mylar Rubbermaid Germination / Seedling grow box question.

Hey all,

This is my first attempt at growing peppers. I have built two Rubbermaid grow boxes. My plan is to getting seedlings up and going for the next ten weeks until I can get them moved outside.

My first question is if I have lined the box with mylar will this enable me to have the plants farther from the light ? I have attached the lights (2 24 inch t5 fluorescent tubes, I am going to add a third) to the underside of the lid. Will it work for me to simply set the seedling trays on the bottom of the box or should I raise them up of the bottom to bring them closer to the lights ?

In some places I have read as close as two centimeters, some six inches, and in another that it doesn't really matter.

My second question: I am planning on using 1 36 jiffy pot tray in each of the boxes. Am I going to have enough light once these things get going ?

213kojn.jpg

Hey all,

I have attache to this reply a picture of the second box. The first box is about 19 inches deep. The second box is about 12. After further reading it appears that propping them closer to the lights will be idea. However, I am still curious to know if these lights will be enough to keep a whole mess of seedlings going for a couple months.... any experience growing in a tub out there ?

2cgf12s.jpg

You will have enough light, but you are going to need ventilation and you will need to watch the temps. I would recommend getting two computer fans (100mm) for each box and hook them up to a thermostat to make sure you dont cook them. Even though the fluoros dont put off much heat it can add up quickly if you aren't careful. Also, it depends on what varieties you are growing for whether or not you have enough space. Many annums will be taller than the box at 2 months.

The ghost pepperstore,

Thank you for the reply. I see what you are saying about the heat. I ran both boxes witout plants yesterday and temps broke 95 degrees in a couple hours. I will get on the fans soon. Here is a list of the peppers I will be attempting:
Bhut Jolokia
Butch “T” Trinidad Scorpion
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Yatzy
Prik Kee Noo Suan
Bolivian Rainbow Pepper
Fushimi Sweet
Papperonicini
Filius Blue
Florescent Purple
Charleston
Early, Giant, and Black Jalapenos

I am kinda thinking the Bhut Jolokia and Prik Kee Noo Suan may be yours :) (I ordered some from theghostpepperstore.com just the other day).

The rest are from Pepper Joe.

I am thinking maybe I am going to re-purpose those rubbermaids and find a cabinet or something I can redesign. For some reason I am just not happy with the boxes. We'll see.

Yep. Those were from me. Prik kee noo grow fast but never get very big. Good luck with them. They are my favorite. 95 is definitely to hot for your seeds. Check out some of the ghetto grow setups. There are lots of great cheap setups there.

Back