• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mystery Pepper: Anyone know what this is?

Some of my peppers from ChilePlants.com are ripening finally. This particular plant didn't seem like a chinense with its smooth leaves, so I figured it was the wrong one; it was supposed to be an Aji Rurrenabaque. I knew this for sure once the young peppers grew a bit; fairly soon after pollination, their shape was clearly off. These are some of the first to ripen--the only chinense I have from CCN that is ripening (slowly...) is the chocolate habanero. This specific pepper is about 2 3/4" long; seems that it's blurred a bit (I hate cameras...), but the curves can still be seen; the pepper has a smooth skin. Here it is:

And here's a couple pictures of the plant, if it somehow helps; it's quite low to the ground and has a pretty big diameter compared to the rest of my plants:

I picked two off the plant, and ate part of one earlier; it has a surprisingly decent heat. Has a pretty decent flavor, too; not sure what I'd describe it as since I have limited experience so far with peppers, but it had a nice mild, fruity kind of taste. Not bad, really. If I take any more pics I'll try to get the focus set right when doing a close-up.

I have no clue. It looks delicious though!
It was surprisingly good, and unlike any other pepper I've ever had... I really couldn't compare it to anything else I've had.

Kind of reminds me of a paper lantern? Shot in the dark…..
I have a paper lantern plant, but no peppers yet. But of all the images I've seen of them, I don't see the resemblance... the lanterns I've seen all look diamond-shaped and far less curvy.

Back