• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Mystery pepper mixed with Reapers

HellfireFarm

Business Member
I have one plant mixed in with all the reapers that is very definitely NOT one! Growth pattern looks more like annuum than chinense. Peppers grow UP like tepins/thai. IMO they look a lot like pequin, and the taste is very much like serrano, but they don't seem to be as hot as a pequin should be.

Just mild pequins or something else?

Last edited:
Oops forgot the picture

20230908_132255.jpg

definitely not tepin, I have those. Smaller, rounder, and a LOT hotter!

From what I'm reading, cascabella are usually yellow and these are ripening to red, but the heat level, size and shape seem right. But I also see pictures of orange and red which fit this look more. Seems the most likely candidate, thank you!

definitely not tepin, I have those. Smaller, rounder, and a LOT hotter!

From what I'm reading, cascabella are usually yellow and these are ripening to red, but the heat level, size and shape seem right. But I also see pictures of orange and red which fit this look more. Seems the most likely candidate, thank you!
In my "Is valgin a thing?" thread, the not-quite-definitely-identified peppers are now strongly suspected to be cascabella, and are longer and more conical than those in your picture. Mine started off a pale yellow - thought for a while they were coyote zan - but have definitely ripened to red now. jgundo seems to be somewhat of an expert on these.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 18.18.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 18.18.31.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 55
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-12 at 17.04.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-12 at 17.04.33.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 59
@HellfireFarm, how about a pequin? There's at least a few pics out there that resemble your pod.

@FinInGermany, I've never grown Cascabella, but looking at pictures online, the calyx looks "wrong", unless your seed source was Pepper Joe's. Other than that, I got nothing. :seeya:

Last edited:
@FinInGermany, I've never grown Cascabella, but looking at pictures online, the calyx looks "wrong", unless your seed source was Pepper Joe's. Other than that, I got nothing. :seeya:

Curiouser and curiouser Downriver 😱. My seed, or rather plant, source was a local woman here in Germany, but she had the plant labelled as "Valgin", which is why I'm still trying to definitively identify the peppers shown in my photos above ;) .
I see what you mean by the calyx except in Pepper Joe's pictures, but from the ripening process, the rest of the description really seems to fit. IDK, maybe some kind of hybrid?
Whatever else, I now know that they are not coyote zan, they taste good when white, and ripen to red. If they should ever be identified, it'll be a bonus. Meantime, I have about 300 seeds saved so I can grow a whole bunch more next year 😂.

Back