• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mystery Pepper Plant

Hi folks! I'm newly returned to posting online after a long hiatus when the kids were little and I had zero time. I've been growing and collecting a variety of heirloom vegetables for quite a while, and peppers are a big part of that.

I try new pepper varieties I'm interested every year and of course sometimes seeds are crossed or just the wrong thing. If they're obviously wrong I usually pull up the plants at the first sign and count it as a loss, as I grow between 30-80 varieties a year and just don't have the room to try to stabilize a hybrid. This year I had one that was just a weird plant and decided to leave it growing to see what it was.

It was supposed to be a new chinense seasoning variety, from a grower who said they had grown it out for the past several years after collecting the peppers on a trip to Trinidad. The other two plants look exactly what she said they would be, as are their peppers. The unusual plant stayed short and bushy, flowered 2 months after anything else I grew and has yet to ripen a fruit.

It flowers in clusters of 6 or more, and the flowers appear to contain a small fruit with a distended pistil. The petals fall away and the fruit swells to about marble sized, but have none have turned color yet.

I contacted the source and sent pictures, they said they didn't grow anything like it last year and don't have anything like it growing this year. If it's a cross, it's a weird one, or it's some stray seed from their collection that they just don't recognize. I have bagged peppers on the plant, so if it tastes like anything interesting or useful I'll see if the seeds come true next year.

I know it's unlikely to be reliabily identifiable, but I was curious if anyone here had seen a pepper like it before. I'm waiting for it to be ripe, so I don't know what it tastes like yet.

Flower form

Flowers.jpg

Fruit Form

Fruit.jpg

welcome back, here is one of my favourite websites when it comes to wilds, just scroll down to see which best describes your plant's profile.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~thietavu/Chili/L_wild.htm

Thanks guys. A hybrid is the most likely source, but this is the first hybrid chinense I've had that wasn't bigger than normal. Usually if a plant is growing head and shoulders above it's sisters that's my first clue that something is wrong.

Back