• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mystery pepper success!!

I picked up a random pod from a basket full of all sorts of C.Chinense peppers at this Caribbean grocery store downtown. Looked like a red Scotch Bonnet with a curved scorpion tail, very strange looking indeed. Well, I broke the pepper open and planted 2 seeds in beer cups. This was back in fall of 2010. A year later and my plants are big and beautiful, and here I have pics from summer of 2011!

dscn0291m.jpg

dscn0292h.jpg

dscn0335c.jpg

dscn0336w.jpg

dscn0337kz.jpg

dscn0338ge.jpg

dscn0345v.jpg

dscn0359u.jpg

To this date, I still do not know what exact variety I have there. All I know is that they're hotter than normal Habaneros, have a very Scotch Bonnet -like taste, and 9/10 times have fetuses inside which makes them twice as hot, as it's often like eating two peppers in a bite. Cool, huh? :lol:

I should also mention that these sister plants are survivors of a weak, possibly EF-0 tornado that hit my neighborhood and tore off HUGE branches from trees everywhere and made a mess of everyone's backyard and driveway. They survived by being nearby the wall where the wind had very little access to the plants, all the while my house shaking accompanied by a sound akin to a blender plus vacuum cleaner. I bred soldiers!

I think the sisters may actually have different traits. One of them (the tall one) has a tendency to produce smoother, rounder pods with the occasional curved tail. The shorter plant has a greater tendency to produce lumpier pods that sometimes have a short, curved tail. Nevertheless, both plants are capable of and have produced pods of both types. Interesting, especially considering that these two plants were born from seeds removed from the same pod. This leads me to think they are hybrids.. of something and something... :eek:

Oh cool, I just found a saved webcam shot of the mother pod (the one I bought at the store over a year ago).

img000044.jpg

This pod gave birth to two beautiful plants! I bought it back in May of 2010 at a Caribbean/Jamaican grocery store in Kensington Market, Toronto.

Back