• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Mystery plant via compost or bird? Immaculate conception?

Hi Guys,

First real post here, so please excuse my n00bness if this is not the place for this post (or they don't even turn out to be chilli's lol)

Over the last few years I have only ever grown a couple of capsicum (bell pepper) & chilli plants, and to my knowledge never add seeds to my compost (though my partner might have). I don't think I ploughed any fruit back into the plot recently.

I recently bought some chilli plants from Bunnings (Australian hardware type shop), but have noticed this other capsicum looking plant growing in the veggie patch adjacent (definitely not from the same batch as the store bought four seedlings) . For all i know it could be a weed, just a plain old capsicum (bell pepper) or other? It certainly seems to be out growing the newly bought plants when it comes to "bushiness".

Just wondering if someone might be able to help id it's species etc please?

Sorry about the dodgy photo's - also worth noting that the flowers do have a green tinge to the petals, despite the camera in the phone washing them out to look white.

Looking down on plant
IMG_9105_zps2a6623c4.jpg

Strange verticle growing pod:
IMG_9103_zpsf94a3a3a.jpg

Flower Photo:
IMG_9096_zpsb8cb1916.jpg

Multiple flowers per node, looking down on a couple of pods:

Downward look at vertical pod:
IMG_9104_zpsc49ad65f.jpg

For comparison the Bunnings - store bought plants look like this:
IMG_9107_zps6b02ed9c.jpg

If anyone has a clue on the Bunnings store bought ones as well, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,

WFC

You will be glad to hear that it is a chilli but what type is a mystery to me. I can tell you what it's not though... a capsicum/bell pepper. ;) It's a Chinense, not Annuum (bell's are Annuums).

The Bunnings one is a Chinense too. Another mystery though. What variety was it labelled as? I'm guessing just one of the "Habanero" types they sell. It's been a long time since I've checked out what varieties they sell though!

You will be glad to hear that it is a chilli but what type is a mystery to me. I can tell you what it's not though... a capsicum/bell pepper. ;) It's a Chinense, not Annuum (bell's are Annuums).

The Bunnings one is a Chinense too. Another mystery though. What variety was it labelled as? I'm guessing just one of the "Habanero" types they sell. It's been a long time since I've checked out what varieties they sell though!
Hey Mate,

Thanks for the response! How hot is it atm in Brissy?!! I'm in Bundy, are your plants wilting by midday too? Mine are in the garden, and I'm walking a fine line between trying to keep them upright and worried that I'm giving them too much water.

Re: The Bunnings ones: I wish I could tell you. My wife went to buy some lettuce & I noticed these chilli's that looked like red habanero's on the picture but had a generic name like "red ring stinger" or "fiery hot crackers" or something unhelpful...once planted, my wife threw away the info slip :rolleyes: By the time I went back to the shop to check the next week, they didn't have any on display. Her OCD strikes again.

Re: The mystery plant. Strange pods eh?!! If they are hot, I have no idea how they got there. We don't really cook with them since we had the kids. It was a conscious decision for me to buy the other hot ones from Bunnings to plant this time, just gotta make sure they don't catch the kids attention. So that would count out the compost...must be from a bird I guess. I have no idea what they will be, I've been looking for similar pods online and haven't come across anything yet. Maybe when they get bigger...

Cheers,

WFC

The purchased plant is a habanero. The mystery plant is unlike anything I've seen before, but it does look cool. Please post more pics in future if it turns color. A great discovery!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still no colour on the mystery plant pods, however they've grown a fair bit and more pods have come on. They are no longer upright due to the size of the pods.
Here's an update:

photo_zps136edf7a.jpg

photo2_zpsa10e9b89.jpg

photo3_zpsf10b8ed5.jpg

Cheers,

WFC

Your mystery one looks kind of like one we have growing here. I think the consensus was Mustard Habanero. Ridged pods that grew somewhat upright. Here's the thread with pics: http://thehotpepper....6074-hab-cross/
hey Mate,

Did you ever try one of the mustard habs? What was the heat like?

Cheers,

WFC

Nice score I say. They look like my mystery ghost peppers
B5B983D2-7555-453E-9E3A-8F0007B314BF-692-000000B6551AAD44.jpg

Hey Mate,

I saw your pics and thought exactly the same thing!!! (Especially both of us being in Aus.) They both look similar and have the same initial pale green pods colour.

I think mine have gone a little rounder now though compared to the length of yours - WDYT?. It's the square-ish ends that strike me as being weird hey. Will update with more pics as my initial pods ripen and new ones grow...

Cheers,

WFC

yup im with gas its defiantly a Chinese!! keep posting pics as it matures, im interested to see what it will turn out to be
you cant know how many plants that were of this species that just popped up that i kept to see what they would be and how many i adopted out to others
thanks your friend joe

[sub]Mine usually slowly turn yellow and then bam ! They are red with in a couple days.... Kinda strange. Great pepper if they turn out to be Jonahs. I'll take pictures of the one I have growing this evening and get it posted.[/sub]

[sub]- Mega[/sub]

Your mystery one looks kind of like one we have growing here. I think the consensus was Mustard Habanero. Ridged pods that grew somewhat upright. Here's the thread with pics: http://thehotpepper....6074-hab-cross/
Hey Guys,

Well our city has been through the worst flood in it's history over the last five days. My chilli plants have taken a hiding. But the mystery chilli has got some colour on it the last 3 days, and I think we have a winner. I think DocNrock was the first to call the identity.
What do you guys reckon? Mustard Hab?

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9419.jpg

I haven't tasted the pod yet, will do in the near future.

Cheers,

WFC

Back