• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

N overload, too hot, or what?

Included are some pictures. I've got a little bit of yellowing in between the veins from the outside of old growth going inward. I've also got tons of deformed leaves where it looks as if one half of the leaf grew faster than the other making it into a sort of claw or hook shape. Lastly, The big leaves at the top of the plant are curling at the edges and are, in general, really lumpy and bumpy and don't want to stay flat. The entire canopy is pretty dark green.

http://imgur.com/a/qfIXG

INFO:
Soil: MG + Sphagnum Peat Moss + Vermiculite 1:1:1
Water: ~3L every 5-6 days
Light: 400W HPS
Temps: Canopy stays at about 26C
Air: I recently bought a fan that runs as long as the light is on and is aimed at the plant.
Ferts: 2-7-4 every week or two, Epsom salts and molasses when I had a Ca/Mg scare.

It's not the best pic but, check for vermin aphid or mite damage is similar, though the damage from critters does not usually damage every leaf. If you put too much peat your soil PH may go too acidic, re-potting with straight premixed potting soil would be a good idea.

It's not the best pic but, check for vermin aphid or mite damage is similar, though the damage from critters does not usually damage every leaf. If you put too much peat your soil PH may go too acidic, re-potting with straight premixed potting soil would be a good idea.

It's an indoor grow. There never have been and there are not aphids.

I probably wouldn't do straight peat, I'd like to find a mix that doesn't include premixed potting soil and all the fertilizers it contains. I have a feeling that I underestimated how much N was in MG and ended up flooding my plant with it.

Either way I'll be using the soil guide that's stickied on the growing forum.

EDIT: fixed the link, sorry!

Yeah, Id say beginning signs of fert burn. You can either flush the roots with water, when it needs to be watered. Wait to see if the leaves get worse. Or clip off all the affected leaves

Yeah, Id say beginning signs of fert burn. You can either flush the roots with water, when it needs to be watered. Wait to see if the leaves get worse. Or clip off all the affected leaves

I'm thinking I'll flush, clip the leaves, and keep it off nutes until I repot it. I have to wait a week until I get home but I'm thinking a repot with peat moss, lime, and vermiculite, and good ol' organic compost. In a much bigger pot. Preferably 5+gallons.

How much water should I flush with? Any estimates on how long the recovery period will be after flushing/clipping?

EDIT: Actually fixed the image link

http://imgur.com/a/qfIXG

just gently move the rootball around being submerged in a tub of water for a minute. If you see some roots that dont look white you can clip them back. Be sure to loosen the rootball after doing this. Your plant will experience a little set back after doing this ( called tranplant shock ) dont worry it will bounce back soon.

just gently move the rootball around being submerged in a tub of water for a minute. If you see some roots that dont look white you can clip them back. Be sure to loosen the rootball after doing this. Your plant will experience a little set back after doing this ( called tranplant shock ) dont worry it will bounce back soon.

So you're saying I shouldn't flush this soil but wait til I repot and clean the roots out then?

Gotcha. The roots are growing out of the bottom of the pot so I have to transplant anyway. I can't dig up my plant and let it soak in a sink at uni so I'll have to wait til I get home.

Intravenal chlorosis on the oldest leaves sounds like Magnesium deficiency, not sure what is causing the curl at the leaf margins. I found a really great series of info sheets about micronutrients from the U. Wisconsin soil science department. http://www.soils.wisc.edu/extension/secondary.php

They are geared toward field agriculture, but the deficiency and toxicity symptom descriptions are some of the clearest I have seen. Really the whole website is great for learning about modern non-organic soil management.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I added Epsom Salts to the mix a while back so I don't think it's Mg deficiency. The dark green growth and messed up leaves are leading me to believe that it was nute burn/overdose. I'll update the thread when I've repotted with new soil and quit overfeeding the poor thing.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I added Epsom Salts to the mix a while back so I don't think it's Mg deficiency. The dark green growth and messed up leaves are leading me to believe that it was nute burn/overdose. I'll update the thread when I've repotted with new soil and quit overfeeding the poor thing.
Can't wait to see if your Clip & Flush technique worked. :)

We'll see, man. We'll see. I'm also repotting in 6 days in a new medium and bigger pot. I'm done with Miracle Gro and its included ferts. Hopefully I'll get all my big growth back this time next month and have some flowers to boot.

Then the flush will work. PO4(-3), K(+) and NO3(-) are all super water soluble and will be flushed out. Should prevent nute lockout as well as the overdose problem. When I repot and stuff I'll probably just folar feed with Epsom Salts and some other diluted liquid fert. No sense in feeding through the soil if I don't have to, you know? Thanks a lot for those resources. I'll definitely use them

Back